What hardwood lump are you recommending?

Easy to find

I like Royal Oak as I can find it at Restaurant Depot, Home Depot, and Walmart. Most bags don't have a lot of small stuff. Sometimes you do get one though. I feel-up the bags real good and you can tell which ones are better than others...

I like Royal Oak as I can find it at Restaurant Depot, Home Depot, and Walmart. Most bags don't have a lot of small stuff. Sometimes you do get one though. I feel-up the bags real good and you can tell which ones are better than others...
I like Carbon del Sur from RD. Royal Oak and Best of the West are second choice.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you may have better success with a different bottom grate as far as air flow. It can be a common problem with the bottom charcoal grate on these shaped cookers. The small charcoal plugs up the holes in the grate holding the charcoal and you get bad air flow. You may want to try and find an aftermarket grate that does not suffer from that problem. Every brand has some small chunks that fit perfectly in those grate holes. I don't know if just changing brands will solve your problem 100 percent of the time, but upgrading your bottom grate probably will.

Disclaimer, I have never used an Acorn, but have seen this problem on komado style cookers many times.

Best I've used is B&B oak. Nice chunks and very dense. I can't find it too much so I use Royal Oak. Meh it works.

I use RO mainly for the year round availability and price. They have their ups and downs but generally pretty good for me.

Earlier this week I noticed a bag of lump in our local grocery store labeled "Essential Everyday", a generic brand. May have to give it a try just because I can.

I use Rockwood most of the time. It burns long and the chunks are dense and usually pretty big. A 20lb bag is a lot of cook time in my BGE.
http://www.firecraft.com/product/rockwood-lump-charcoal-20lbs/hardwood-charcoal

Recently I bought two bags of Ozark Oak to try it out. It has an very nicef hot and clean burn. It seems less dense than the Rockwood (lighter?). I liked it, but it's the only charcoal I've used in a while that I had to refill during a brisket cook. Not sure if other people are having the same experience with Ozark. It also (from what I can tell) only comes in 10lbs bags.
http://www.firecraft.com/product/ozark-oak-lump-charcoal/hardwood-charcoal

this summer I used Royal Oak cause it was half price at lowes!
10249175_1483960018500604_1556651185_n.jpg

If I can't find it half price then I use Basques sugar maple from Costco

RO in the green bag from Menards. Second choice is the red bag from Walmart, HD etc

That probably doesn't help much unless you're in the Midwest:grin:

Lazzari mostly distributes mesquite, but they also sell an oak hardwood lump. The oak gives a really nice smoke foundation to the meat. It tends to complement hickory and pecan chunks the best.

For a more neutral fuel I use the Lazzari hardwood briquettes.

They also sell hardwood lump orange wood. They tell me it is popular with hookah smokers.

When I buy lump, I always check out the bags, and will go through several to find one that has not been "over handled" and abused. You can tell the difference if you will feel the bags as well as you can without opening them and dumping them out on the floor. ( most retail stores do not like the last method. :becky: )

Blessings,

Omar

I have been using B&B oak lump available at Academy (plus they have a lot of other BBQ fuel & hardwood there).

Back