Best online prices/shipping for lump and briquettes...

chelnerul

Found some matches.
Brethren,

I recently went through my entire horde of Rockwood lump charcoal the other day. I bought a few hundred dollars worth of their excellent 20 lb bags many many years ago and stored them in shelving in the shed and am now out. Back then, they were $20/bag and shipping was free for over $100 orders.

In order to prepare for a baseball party, I went over to our excellent local Ace hardware store, and they had a really stellar selection of lump (Fogo, Rockwood, Kamado Joe, etc) and briquettes (B&B), but my bill was over $100 for one bag of Rockwood and two small bags of oak B&B.

I know inflation is raging and has doubled the cost of most products over the past few years, so I am probably extremely late to the New Normal, but I was wondering where you get the best lump or briquette deals online or in person? Is $35/bag of 20lbs the new normal for quality lump? $20/bag for 10lb bags of B&B?

Many thanks all, I need to update my current understanding of the world...

Contact them directly, order a pallet, and split with some buddies. I would not try to ship lump charcoal unless it was done on a pallet, personally. Gets tossed around way too much, which is how all those small pieces happen.

I buy my charcoal at Ace and wait for their $5 off $20 coupons for reward members. I just buy one bag at a time. It works because it's less than a half mile from my house.

Yea, all these prices have only spiked in the last couple years.
I Wonder why?

Contact them directly, order a pallet, and split with some buddies. I would not try to ship lump charcoal unless it was done on a pallet, personally. Gets tossed around way too much, which is how all those small pieces happen.

I like this approach but I can't afford to buy a palette at a time though, otherwise this would be my preferred course of action.

I buy my charcoal at Ace and wait for their $5 off $20 coupons for reward members. I just buy one bag at a time. It works because it's less than a half mile from my house.

In your experience how often do they do this? I was shocked at the price inflation I saw at Ace. I don't blame them, I understand how surreal this economy has become, but I was genuinely surprised at the price increases.

If there's an Academy Sports within driving distance, they have much better pricing than Ace. My local Academy stocks B&B lump and briquettes, Jealous Devil, and occasionally has other brands.

My go-to is B&B for both lump and briquettes; Academy almost always had oak and usually has hickory.

I agree with another poster; my experience with single bag shipping has been fraught with lots of charcoal dust and fragments.

Yes, try Academy. They sell B&B lump 20 lb bags for $15
Homedepot in my area had been selling JealousDevil 20 lb bags for $20, even though the online price was $24. I shoulda bought more cause now it really is $24.

Back