BBQ Fuel...

Zeta09

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Z
So It's been a minute but
I think I'll put this out there again to see if the experts on here have any thing to add to the discussion.

The topics is briquettes.
I had been lucky enough to use and see the diff in the Stubbs Charcoal when it was available and wound up settling on the Royal Oak HardWood Briquettes but now that is becoming harder to get.....

So I use the Kingsford Pro stuff I can get at my local CostCo
I have had some of the lump hardwood briquettes @ Sprouts
I have used a bag of Jealous Devil but I didn't feel extra excited about it

I do more grillin than smokin but I have a dedicated pit and use it when I doing large cooks but use the minion method more often to get my long cooks that I can do overnight

Any ideas of if there is a "best" briquettes out there in 2023?

Cowboy branded briquettes are the same as the old Stubb's as far as performance if you can find them.

Same pros and cons. They smoke a lot when you first ight them, and they are a little harder to light than most.

But once lit they perform really well, with minimal smell, long burn time, low ash and they respond well to vent adjustments if you like to start low n slow and end hot for instance.

I've used the Cowboy Brand (the Co that essentially took the Stubs market/Co) and when I had them AND Stubbs used them in a side by side...

I would not agree that they are the same and did not burn as hot nor as well as the Stubbs did.....
That being said I DO like the Royal Oak Natural but with it getting harder to get not sure if I can say the CowBoy was as good.

this Natural Whiz Database is actually quite nice...Multitude of brands on there
But no briquettes....
I appreciate the recs...never knew there was a database like that.
NWD DID have this and the rec for the Briquettes is for a product called "Wicked Good Charcoal" but OF COURSE it's not sold online and not sold in my State

Thus still putting it out there if guys here will vouch for a certain product for those who do use Briquettes......

I've used the Cowboy Brand (the Co that essentially took the Stubs market/Co) and when I had them AND Stubbs used them in a side by side.........

Try Cowboy again.

Once upon a time they were very different.

The Stubbs brand was dropped and the old version of Cowboy discontinued. Then they replaced the Cowboy formula with the old Stubbs formula. You were probably using the old formula Cowboy. It took time to get all the old version Cowboy out of the supply line.

The best briquettes I have used are Jealous Devil. Large briquettes, long burn time and low ash, but they are expensive. Some Walmart stores have started carrying them, so that may help with the price.

I started using B & B Competition Oak Briquets and have not looked back. I get them at / through the local Ace Hardware.
They burn hot, and long, reasonable ash and do not have any "chemical smell".

Alright maybe I will.
I had some CowBoy I wanna say 6 mos ago and still preferred the Royal Oak I remember filming the Stubbs and how it burnt clean. I don't know if I can say that about Cowboy but sure it's been some time.
TC Smoke & Que said:
I started using B & B Competition Oak Briquets and have not looked back...

I think I remember using this..but it was maybe years (2??). I've used so many I guess I might have to start a log and comparison chart but perhaps I'll try this again as well....

The best briquettes I have used are Jealous Devil....
I used Jealous Devil. It was Lump not briquettes and so I'll have to put all three of these recs to the test...IDK how vids work on this OG forum but I'll figure that out and post my findings.....

I started using B & B Competition Oak Briquets and have not looked back. I get them at / through the local Ace Hardware.
They burn hot, and long, reasonable ash and do not have any "chemical smell".

If your serious about outdoor cook’n and BBQ

B&B and Blue Hog for the win every time!!

Used every lump out there.. royal etc..

if ya like the snap crackle pop’n with occasional embers popping out y’all must have the fire department on speed dial

I’ll skip the lump fire works!

:thumb:

Last edited:
"if ya like the snap crackle pop’n with occasional embers popping out y’all must have the fire department on speed dial

I’ll skip the lump fire works!"

I hear you there....the lumb charcoal transition is not my fav either....
I use it mostly to start my fire for my Smoker but I haven't used it THAT much on my grill cooks....just my preference....

Still putting together my comparison chart, photos and vids
I'll try to make this scientific....

The Embers Brand at HD, its crap.

Lights slow, smokes a lot, and turns to dust quickly. Not a lot of heat before it burns out either.

Back