What could cause smoke ring to go really deep?

Panupat

Full Fledged Farker
Went to a new restaurant and, not that their ribs were any good but, I'm curious.
The pink was not a ring but went into the meat all the way to the bone. What could have caused this?

mdaFoeKh.jpg

On second thought, their ribs were really really dry.
Maybe they cut it and threw it back onto the smoker.

Last edited:
Could just be that that rack really accepted the smoke. Too much salt in the brine or rub? But those look like they were probably boiled, smoke for 10 hours and then finished on the grill. They look like rib jerky!

Hmmm boiled. Interesting. What was the clue?

More of a joke. Just looks like they did everything they could to them like brine in salt water, boil in salt water, added a salty rub, etc. mister christer is right on the money. Instead of salt they probably use lots of MSG.

Thos ribs look dry, but I bet it is because they cut them right away, they sat, and were reheated before serving. Looks like classic "day old" microwaved ribs :)

Here is an example of ribs I cooked on my offset using oak. These had a fairly simple rub, no MSG. These still had a little chew still, and were not fall off the bone. So definitely not overcooked. Sometimes I think ribs get rings all the way through because they are a thin cut. The ring from both sides just meets up in the middle.

Keep in mind that 99% of BBQ restaurants dont wrap their ribs. In the comp world, most of us wrap to prevent too much smoke penetration.

I'm just trying to figure out what all is on your plate... wings, ribs, fries, and something with cheese? Pulled pork lasagne?

Yes they put cheese on the pulled pork. Probably cheddar since it firm up by the time I tried.
Just horrible. All it did was give me a texture in my mouth that didn't taste a damn thing.
What do you expect right, cheese has less flavor than pork.
Those dark chunks on top left were brisket, not that good either.

Ribs 4/10, pulled pork 5/10, brisket 6/10.

Wings 8/10 but hey, they're deep fried. Not smoked.

Baked bean was soaked in ketchup I could taste nothing else.

VT8ai2Mh.jpg

Last edited:
Daddy G's Smokehouse, in Bangkok. I ate half of 1 rib, my wife only took a bite or 2. Didn't spit but we took the rest back home for our dogs : /

Back