THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am not so sure, after all they are made in Mexico, not exactly expensive labor.

Plus, I suspect Weber has new tooling for this product, being a different size, shape, and double walled. They will certainly need to recoup the roi for this tooling.
If a manufacturer is making a product with cheaper labor those savings don't always go to the consumer so it's kind of a moot point unfortunately where as when they're done here in the U.S you'll always pay for the extra cost of labor. Bottom line is ceramic cooker makers can always charge a premium regardless of the country of origin.

I am not so sure, after all they are made in Mexico, not exactly expensive labor.

Plus, I suspect Weber has new tooling for this product, being a different size, shape, and double walled. They will certainly need to recoup the roi for this tooling.

The double wall construction and the porcelain coating are definitely not insignificant costs.

Keep in mind part of the price of a ceramic kamado includes the lifetime warranty on the ceramic parts. If you own one of the commonly available kamados - BGE/KJ/Primo/Vison/etc. you will be replacing a fire bowl and ring or three during the time you own it.

If you are really unlucky you'll end up replacing a base or dome.

If they weren't so likely to break they could be quite a bit cheaper.

I think Weber will recoup their tooling costs many times over during the time span that they sell the Summit Charcoal.

So this is interesting. My next video is going to be about how long the Summit will run on 1 full load of charcoal. It's a total bbq nerd question, but I'm sick and I thought I could do this and answer a hypothetical question ("How efficient is it?") while at the same time not having to breathe in a lot of smoke because the Guru would be doing all the work.

So here's the thing. I dumped in 3 chimneys full of K (thats exactly how much it took to fill the firebox, by the way) and 22 hours later I take a peak. I did it on camera because I THOUGHT I was going to be shuffling a few remaining coals around and kind of "wrapping up" the cook. Instead I found this.

Most of the coals are still there! I would not be surprised if this cook goes on for ANOTHER 24 hours or more. We are supposed to have storms tomorrow night so I REALLY hope this burns up by then. (So weird to have to think that far ahead.)

Meanwhile, I'm still trying not to get bronchitis...but I'm not going to give up on this now. I'm already 27 hours into this.

Like any of us here know about the cost of manufacturing these cookers. LOL!!
I know (only) enough to be dangerous since I'm actually getting BBQ product commercially made now. It's amazing what actually goes into it! Next for me is to go visit one of my fabricator production facilities for more of a "hands on" to what is involved.

So this is interesting. My next video is going to be about how long the Summit will run on 1 full load of charcoal. It's a total bbq nerd question, but I'm sick and I thought I could do this and answer a hypothetical question ("How efficient is it?") while at the same time not having to breathe in a lot of smoke because the Guru would be doing all the work.

So here's the thing. I dumped in 3 chimneys full of K (thats exactly how much it took to fill the firebox, by the way) and 22 hours later I take a peak. I did it on camera because I THOUGHT I was going to be shuffling a few remaining coals around and kind of "wrapping up" the cook. Instead I found this.

Most of the coals are still there! I would not be surprised if this cook goes on for ANOTHER 24 hours or more. We are supposed to have storms tomorrow night so I REALLY hope this burns up by then. (So weird to have to think that far ahead.)

Meanwhile, I'm still trying not to get bronchitis...but I'm not going to give up on this now. I'm already 27 hours into this.

Wow! Keep us posted on the length of the burn! Also, what temp are you keeping this at?

Wow! Keep us posted on the length of the burn! Also, what temp are you keeping this at?

LOL. Yeah, I guess that's pretty important, huh? The guru is set at 225. Every time I open the lid to stoke the coals, the temps shoot up to around 250. They eventually settle in around 225 though.

This is only the second time I've had a burn in this cooker so the vents aren't really seasoned up yet and, of course, there is not meat it in, but it's something to be aware of if any one needs their cooker to lock in at a solid 225.

I feel like it will get better in time, but I'm trying to provide an unbiased experience for those thinking about getting one because, dang, it's a lot of money.

I know (only) enough to be dangerous since I'm actually getting BBQ product commercially made now. It's amazing what actually goes into it! Next for me is to go visit one of my fabricator production facilities for more of a "hands on" to what is involved.

I'm intrigued! What are you making?!? (or is it a secret?)

I feel like it will get better in time, but I'm trying to provide an unbiased experience for those thinking about getting one because, dang, it's a lot of money.
The more I see this cooker in action on this thread and others, the less reasons I see not to buy one.

BBM, It looks like Weber is using a hot air thermal insulation. I know it gets hot but how hot on the outside bottom if you can measure that exterior temp. I do temps for a living and just curious.

Get Well Soon.

Love this post! Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm intrigued! What are you making?!? (or is it a secret?)
I'll introduce it in June if not possibly a tad before but it is a new type of rotisserie system that will adapt to existing spits etc... Initially it will just be a base unit then will introduce other components at a later time that will make up the whole system.

LOL. Yeah, I guess that's pretty important, huh? The guru is set at 225. Every time I open the lid to stoke the coals, the temps shoot up to around 250. They eventually settle in around 225 though.

This is only the second time I've had a burn in this cooker so the vents aren't really seasoned up yet and, of course, there is not meat it in, but it's something to be aware of if any one needs their cooker to lock in at a solid 225.

Thanks!

Also, how did you start it? I assume you used the gas assist, but how long did you run the gas for?

BBM, It looks like Weber is using a hot air thermal insulation. I know it gets hot but how hot on the outside bottom if you can measure that exterior temp. I do temps for a living and just curious.

Get Well Soon.

Love this post! Thanks!

No problem. The cooker was sitting right at 220 (Guru therm) and this was the hottest temp I could find on the dome.

The base was warmer (140-150). Hope this helps.

Back