Vortex: which size, name brand?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey folks,

I realize I should probably get a Vortex for my 22" Weber charcoal kettle. I especially want it for next weekend. My wife wants "BBQ Chicken from the grill". It's her birthday celebration with her friends and THE last time we'll celebrate w/ local friends at our home of 25 years. We'e moving to the opposite corner of the country. I want this chicken to be really good.

Anyway, which Vortex (size) should I get for the 22" Weber kettle?

Also, is the name brand Vortex worth nearly twice the price of other brands?

Finally, do I need a different grill grate, the one w/ the hole in the middle to use w/ the vortex?

Are there any other things I should consider w/ the Vortex for the 22" Weber kettle?

Thanks in advance!
JD

Yes, get the original.
Medium Vortex fits the 22".
You don't need a special grate but the high heat is quite abusive to the regular plated Weber grate. I finally got a 304 stainless steel grate to use with the V.

I'm sure I stand alone but I like to dial down the heat to around 450. Most folks run it wide open. I find a lower temp for a longer period gives me superior results.

Good luck and have fun.
And take pics :thumb:

Yes, get the original.
Medium Vortex fits the 22".
You don't need a special grate but the high heat is quite abusive to the regular plated Weber grate. I finally got a 304 stainless steel grate to use with the V.

I'm sure I stand alone but I like to dial down the heat to around 450. Most folks run it wide open. I find a lower temp for a longer period gives me superior results.

Good luck and have fun.
And take pics :thumb:

Thanks!
I appreciate that.
When you say dial down the heat, how do you do that?
JD

Thanks!
I appreciate that.
When you say dial down the heat, how do you do that?
JD

The vortex doesn't need to be full and limiting airflow usually helps. Sometimes, though, the vortex decides on its own how hot it wants to run.

Hello again everyone,

These chicken parts for my wife's birthday party will be my first swing w/ vortex. I've spent some time on YouTube watching Vortex vids. They say that the amount of charcoal you load it with determine how hot it is.... I know, duh.

Using Kingsford blue, how high do you recommend filling the Vortex for my 1st chicken parts cook... 1/2 - 2/3rds?

I'm going to to towel them off and leave exposed to air to dry the skin over night. The next morning, i.e. day of cook, slather w/ a little mayo as a binder and rub them. I'll let rub sit on chicken in fridge for 6 or 8 hours as a dry brine.

I'll do the drums hot & spicy BBQ, the thighs sweet BBQ and the breast quarters w/ herb butter flavor. I'll glaze w/ sauce at the end.

What surprised me was the wide variation of final internal temps recommended. I know dark meat is done at 165 & white meat a little lower, but folks were taking them to 185 - 200 internal. They said they were good, to me that sounded extreme. How high do you take your chicken parts internal on the grill?

Thank in advance!
JD

I like to go with a full Weber charcoal starter of almost fully ashed over briquettes. The Vortex will be a little more then 3/4 full. Which is plenty hot. If you don't have a clam shell on your lid handle you may want to wear a glove when lifting the lid off the kettle. It can get hot

Chicken temps: 165 for white meat. 175 for dark. You can go lighter on the dark meat temps(165*) if you keep them at 165 for about 10 mins. pasteurizing them.

Be careful glazing the chicken as you don't want the sugars in the sauce burning.

Have fun and enjoy.

I like to go with a full Weber charcoal starter of almost fully ashed over briquettes. The Vortex will be a little more then 3/4 full. Which is plenty hot. If you don't have a clam shell on your lid handle you may want to wear a glove when lifting the lid off the kettle. It can get hot

Chicken temps: 165 for white meat. 175 for dark. You can go lighter on the dark meat temps(165*) if you keep them at 165 for about 10 mins. pasteurizing them.

Be careful glazing the chicken as you don't want the sugars in the sauce burning.

Have fun and enjoy.

Thanks much!
JD

Back