Grillgrate size for Weber Kettle

Sharkyj

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Sam
I am looking to compete at a SCA Cookoff with my Weber 22 kettle. I know they make grill grates to fit the entire cooking surface, but I was wondering what the minimum size is needed to compete. Looks like a small set would be easier to store I was looking at a smaller set in 13.75 in either a 2 or 3 panel size.

What are your thoughts.

I would go with three panels. That gives you choices of where to put the steak after each flip, and still allows air flow to the charcoal.

I got the 15" three panel set and mainly use two on my weber.

Attachments

• 20230430_192159.jpg
    20230430_192159.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230430_184701.jpg
    20230430_184701.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 87
I'm wondering why grill grates are better than your regular grate? I want my fat to drip into my coals to create smoke. I see grill grates have holes to allow for SOME of the fat to leak through.

Why do you want to block direct flame/heat on a steak by using grill grates? Isn't that the purpose in the first place of cooking over wood/charcoal?

What am I missing? Reduce flair ups at the expense of having something else to clean each cook?

I like a certain amount of flair ups as long as I am watching and can move a fatty steak if it gets too intense.

Are these things geared strictly at the competition guys for some reason?

Man.... I've got too many questions about the purpose/benefit of these things. Sorry....

I wonder how they would work with a Slo N Sear on a Weber 22". I miss my gill marks on steaks and burgers and have had steaks off the grill grates that had them and were excellent.

I'm wondering why grill grates are better than your regular grate? I want my fat to drip into my coals to create smoke. I see grill grates have holes to allow for SOME of the fat to leak through.

Why do you want to block direct flame/heat on a steak by using grill grates? Isn't that the purpose in the first place of cooking over wood/charcoal?

What am I missing? Reduce flair ups at the expense of having something else to clean each cook?

I like a certain amount of flair ups as long as I am watching and can move a fatty steak if it gets too intense.

Are these things geared strictly at the competition guys for some reason?

Man.... I've got too many questions about the purpose/benefit of these things. Sorry....

when using on the kettle I would say they are different not better. it evens things out. a novice may get uncontrolled flair ups and burn food. grill grates prevent that. if I were cooking 4 ribeyes at once I would use the grates to prevent a fireball. where grill grates shine is on a cooker that is underpowered. say you have gasser that is underwhelming at searing or a pellet cooker that doesn't have a sear function. this is where they shine.

you still get some smoke vaporizing off the channels and the grates can be flipped to the flat side making a sort of griddle. that may be the coolest feature of them

Back