Vertical smoker build in progress

Haven't gotten as much done as I've wanted, but pesky things like work keep getting in the way.

Anyway...

I welded the backside of the side of the smoker.

Then I drilled a hole in the side to run a piece of pipe. This will be to run a probe thermometer through the side without having to smash it in the door. When not being used, it can be plugged. Then I welded the pipe in place.

Next, I welded and cleaned up the inside so it will be ready for the next step.

Welded in the front...

And added a brace for tuning plates. Will it need tuning plates? I don't know, but it's a lot easier to do it now then to add it later.

I also added the fire box to cook chamber opening.

BTW, I added a new tool to my garage.

Where has this been all my life? It cuts through metal with ease and leaves a nice, burr free edge.

That's it for now...

Great thread! If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase the Evolution saw and what did it set you back?

love this thread. makes me want to buy a welding machine & some sheet metal.

But I will end up with something like this
homer-bbq5.jpg

Great thread! If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase the Evolution saw and what did it set you back?

Right around $270 to my door. Free two day shipping if you upgrade to Amazon prime. I got the saw and cancelled Amazon prime within 30 days (two days actually) so it wasn't any money out of my pocket.

The saw is awesome. Last night, I cut a piece of ten gauge about an eighth inch too wide. With it being ten inches wide, my options used to be to cut it with the plasma cutter (which is kind of a pain for such a small piece) or a lot of grinding. I slapped it on the saw and thirty seconds later, I was test fitting again.

Right around $270 to my door. Free two day shipping if you upgrade to Amazon prime. I got the saw and cancelled Amazon prime within 30 days (two days actually) so it wasn't any money out of my pocket.

The saw is awesome. Last night, I cut a piece of ten gauge about an eighth inch too wide. With it being ten inches wide, my options used to be to cut it with the plasma cutter (which is kind of a pain for such a small piece) or a lot of grinding. I slapped it on the saw and thirty seconds later, I was test fitting again.

You're a bad influence... I just went on Amazon and bought it. I'll have to explain to my wife that I've had that saw for years if she sees in in my garage... Thank you and I'll stay in tune to your build for sure. :)

Looks great, can't wait to see more. I enjoy all of the build threads because I learn a little something from each one, keep the pics coming! What gauge of sheet are you using?

I will see how my plasma does tomorrow with a rolling standoff guide, but I have a huge amount of dross (slag) on the back side of my previous cuts on 1/4" plate. If I move any faster then I am not getting through the metal. If it isn't any better than I may be ordering something different. I was the most excited about the plasma cutter and it has been the biggest disappointment thus far. Which hypertherm do you have?

I have a powermax 600 which is comparable to their powermax 45. I've cut 3/4 with it, not the cleanest because it's really pushing it's limits, but it could cut.

Here's a pic of 1/4 that I cut with old consumables...

Even with a straight edge, I still roll a little (as you can tell in the pic), but a drag tip is the way to go.

Are you running a filter dryer? Moisture in your air is your biggest enemy when it comes to plasma cutters.

Nope, that's what I'm running. Seems we're running the same set up with different equipment.

Yeah, and I honestly don't expect results as good as yours, but the cuts were pretty sloppy on 1/4" thus far. I am sure a fair amount of that is operator error so I bought the rolling standoff collar to take as many variables out as possible, if it doesn't improve then I will look for a new machine.

Thanks for all your help.

90 Psi is overkill for 40 amps plasma. Lower it down to 60-70..I run a full 50 amp on Half inch steel plate..remember you dragging speed is what determine the cutting draws and beveled of the cuts,,, weld away!

Got a little more done. I welded in the rails for the racks and welded in the stops to keep the racks from tilting and falling out.

Yes, I marked out my welds so they would line up. Lol, what can I say, it would have driven me bonkers looking at them if they were uneven!

Flipped it over, and did the same to the other side. I also added the rail for the water pan and a piece of angle iron to help keep grease out of the fire box.

It has now gotten too heavy for me to safely pick up. Fortunately, I have a friend who loaned me his engine hoist. I'm going to leave the back off, for now, so I can run a strap through to hook to the lift.

Tonight, I'll start on the door.

I got a little more accomplished yesterday. I decided to start on the fire box instead of the door. I built the frame,

And added supports for the fire box.

I can't say enough how much I love the Evolution Rage. It makes perfect cuts every time with virtually no clean up. I've got a Milwaukee chop saw that is going to the trash, I'll never use it again.

Then I added the bottom and the sides.

Before I set the bottom, I realized that my measurements were off and my fire box was going to be 25 inches wide. Instead of wasting metal, I adjusted my frame dimensions to allow me to make the fire box 24 inches. This is what I love about working with metal. A little hack, tack, and grind and no one would ever know. You can see below the bottom where I took metal out and re welded. After paint, it will be invisible.

It's starting to look like a smoker. This thing is going to be huge!

Back