Venison Shanks

What an amazing meal, all taken from the land. I suck so bad at gardening…well and hunting too lol.

Thanks for posting Jeannie. Helps me stay motivated to get better! Absolutely marvelous.
Thanks Adam! I imagine gardening in your location has some challenges! The drought and bugs were heck for me this year. :grin:

That is one fantastic meal Jeanie.

Thanks Marty!! I had to check out your latest beach scene this morning. Does my soul good. :grin:

I've eaten a lot of deer, but just gave the shanks to the dogs, I'll give this a try , How does that marrow taste?

The marrow was delicious! No gaminess at all. Tasted about like beef marrow. Hope you give the shanks a try. I just simmered til completely tender. :grin:

Thank you George! :grin:

The content of your posts, the creativity and the execution just absolutely amaze me, and the fact that you took such raw materials and made such a beautiful looking dish, fantastic! You certainly have a "leg" up on most of us, "shanks" for posting.

lol Made me laugh. Thanks so much Ron! :grin:

I am a fan of the shanks and do similar, but yours look better.

Fine job, as always!

Thanks Joe! I have no doubt your venison shanks are delicious! Hope all is well with you! :grin:

Venison marrow??? Never even considered it.
Ed
Yes, Ed! Marrow! It tastes a lot like beef marrow. Buttery goodness. :laugh:

Great looking dish.
Just wondering what kind of blade did you use on your recipro saw?
Do they make a stainless one or just a regular fine tooth metal cutting blade.
I would worry about the paint coming off.
Thanks and keep your cook photos coming.

Great looking dish.
Just wondering what kind of blade did you use on your recipro saw?
Do they make a stainless one or just a regular fine tooth metal cutting blade.
I would worry about the paint coming off.
Thanks and keep your cook photos coming.

Thanks! I've had these blades for so long, I'm not sure what brand they are. They are non painted metal. They work well when butchering pigs and deer.
Sometimes I use a small hacksaw too.
Thanks for the kind comment. :grin:

It was a rough year, but I'll take a plate:--))

:-D

Last edited:
Those shanks look great - I have only done beef shanks in the past - guess I better broaden my horizons

Those shanks look great - I have only done beef shanks in the past - guess I better broaden my horizons

Thank you Ted! These were very similar to beef shanks. Hope you give em a try and let me know how it goes! :grin:

Back