THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parm

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been promised a couple of custom made stainless steel containers that have previously been used to store flour. One has a lid and the other doesn't. Size of both is about 18 inches square and around 35 inches tall.

This gives me an idea to make a S/S UDS after seeing a recent thread here.

Question is will it work in a square container or does it have to be a drum. I realy hoping some of you experts say yes as it will be quite cool to build a stainless steel UDS

There's no reason it won't work, but it might be hard to find a grill grate to fit it. How are your metal skills? Angle iron and extruded metal would make a grill.

There's no reason it won't work, but it might be hard to find a grill grate to fit it. How are your metal skills? Angle iron and extruded metal would make a grill.

Metal working skills isn't an issue for me, I have a very well equipped home workshop so will definitely be able knock together almost anything I need. Currently thinking of turning some 1/4 inch S/S tubing into a grill grate

How about a vertical offset instead?

Good idea but I'm also in the throes of building an RF offset smoker. This is taking some time due to sourcing materials whereas I can do the UDS in an afternoon

One major question, should I go for slot type vents on the bottom as found on the BGE the units or should I go with 3/4 inch tubing and ball valves??

Either way I've got some great ideas for workable solutions!

I think you should use the BGE style vents but both work...it's a matter of what YOU like and if you plan to use a controller for it in the future (then the ball valve would be nicer)

I think you should use the BGE style vents but both work...it's a matter of what YOU like and if you plan to use a controller for it in the future (then the ball valve would be nicer)

I don't realy know anything about controllers so want to keep things as simple as possible. Bit of a dilemma with this one, BGE type vents are the simplest for me to make but I've got some great ideas for ball valves and 3/4 inch copper tubing that will look realy cool against the stainless steel smoker

Back