"Downgrade" from 7lb Avantco to 5lb LEM stuffer

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
So I currently have this stuffer
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-ss-7v-7-lb-stainless-steel-vertical-manual-sausage-stuffer-with-13-20-30-and-40mm-stainless-steel-funnels/177SS7V.html

I like it, it works. However, in my current physical condition, it's very cumbersome to unbox, set up, clean, box up. The footprint of this thing is also a bit large, the corners and edges are a bit sharp, and it weighs in at 25Lbs.

What I WAS thinking was looking at the LEM 5lb stuffer. It's smaller footprint and lighter, which will be easier for me.

Mind you, I only really do 5lb batches, and have no issue refilling the stuffer if needed. I also know that 5lbs doesn't necessarily mean 5lbs, and at the base will most likely need to be clamped down (hence the reduction in weight).

I guess I am looking for brethren opinions of my logic. Ultimately it's up to me, but I like hearing other peoples perspectives.

Thanks for the time!

For a 5# batch, can't you use your grinder to stuff the casings?
The lighter 5# LEM isn't double geared, which is part of it being lighter. I don't know what physical condition you are working around, but that could be something to consider. The double geared LEM is heavier than what you already have.
I get the unboxing PITA, maybe a nice $20 rubbermaid tote can make that a bit easier than repacking into the original box?

Sorry SmokeOCD, sorry for being vague. I am currently recovering from GBS and my legs are strong enough yet, so I am in a wheelchair and can't walk currently. Upper body is solid...probably the best I've looked ever lol.

I am a very stubborn man and I don't like when my wife HAS to assist. Actually I feel bad she has to help me. So in the sake of making this "easier" I was thinking of going this route.

the stuffer in question is this one

https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products...686941479&sprefix=lem+stuffer+,aps,137&sr=8-5

In the meantime, we're looking for containers as you mentioned. Appreciate the feedback. It helps me trying to figure out if the "juice is worth the squeeze"

Last edited:
I've used a 5# STUFFER for decades, for me it's a great size. I will make 3 or 4 varieties at a time and 1 might be bulk (like Italian), and one might be made into patties (like Lukainka or Farm), and then some links. When I do all links, I work in assembly line style.

+1 for LEM #5. Have had it for 10 years now. Easy to clean, use and store. In the beginning I tried using my LEM #8 for stuffing but it proved to be cumbersome.

I've got that exact stuffer, Adam.
No complaints about it.
You're correct, it needs to be clamped down.

You might check LEM's website. They have a few refurbished items for sale with some pretty good discounts.
My grinder and stuffer both came from the discount bin. Both looked like brand new when I got them.

I've got a 30 lb electric stuffer from Sausage Maker for large batches, but a 5lb manual LEM for 5 lb batches. Love them both.

I've got that exact stuffer, Adam.
No complaints about it.
You're correct, it needs to be clamped down.

You might check LEM's website. They have a few refurbished items for sale with some pretty good discounts.
My grinder and stuffer both came from the discount bin. Both looked like brand new when I got them.

Yep!

I bought my stuffer refurb from LEM too.

I have a 30lb Lem Electric and also the 5lb Lem. I bought the 5lb for the exact reason you are mentioning. The ease of use & clean up for small batches is much better. I like small batches to perfect recipes before making 25lbs. It also does an incredible job of leaving very little meat left in the canister after stuffing. I have been very happy with my Lem equipment.
If you can afford the extra stuffer, go for it.

I have a 30lb Lem Electric and also the 5lb Lem. I bought the 5lb for the exact reason you are mentioning. The ease of use & clean up for small batches is much better. I like small batches to perfect recipes before making 25lbs. It also does an incredible job of leaving very little meat left in the canister after stuffing. I have been very happy with my Lem equipment.
If you can afford the extra stuffer, go for it.

How do you like the electric stuffer compared to a manual? I'm liking those.

I would keep it. Move some things around and toss that f****r in a little red wagon. Coming out of a 14 month health crisis as well, I can say the harder I gotta plow through even the stupidest of tasks the f'ing better I'll be.
Best of luck ta ya, now go do wheelies with that 7lbr.

-D

How do you like the electric stuffer compared to a manual? I'm liking those.

Sorry I missed this question earlier. The electric is fantastic and allows you to do a better job. Very consistent flow and makes quick work of 25lb batches. I always needed my wife help prior with the manual.
The downside would be clean up on small batches like 2-4lbs. I started really focusing on small batches to perfect recipes which made me purchase the 5lb manual. I didn't like making 25 lbs of sausage that I wasn't crazy about.

Back