Trying to decide: rotisserie for my 18" wsm vs 22" kettle

Sayn3ver

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Lance
Hello to all. Typically in the past I have known what I wanted in equipment. Not so with this decision. Looking to buy a cajun bandit rotisserie sometime this year.

I use my 22" performer several times a week for dinner. I just received my slow and sear and stainless grate after two seasons with the stock grate (that I burned out with the vortex) and Weber baskets.

I have owned a wsm 18 since around 2006. It's the perfect size for me in terms of size and performance.

I also have had a very very used 22 silver kettle I got for free off Craigslist years ago.

I'm not sure which is the better way to go. I don't typically want to empty out the performer to use the rotisserie every time. So I'm thinking of turning the beat up 22 kettle into a dedicated vortex cooker with a gourmet grill and throw the rotisserie on that.

Mostly want the rotisserie for whole chickens, prime rib roasts and possibly pork loin or higher heat shoulder roasts for pork sandwiches. But of course I'm sure I'll find other uses for it.

Does a kettle vs wsm perform better in this role? I assume a wsm may possibly struggle to hit desired high temps.

I have the rotisserie for the kettle. Honesty, I couldn’t be happier. The skin comes out super crispy!

This is how I set up mine. I also put veggies in the drip pan for added goodness from time to time.

Attachments

• 9230F57A-69E6-4F7A-ABF9-29B6884B69B5.jpg
    9230F57A-69E6-4F7A-ABF9-29B6884B69B5.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 202
  • 39AD90ED-6CDF-431C-8B47-143C8A6C5A23.jpg
    39AD90ED-6CDF-431C-8B47-143C8A6C5A23.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 199
  • D8C792C5-6556-4846-82DC-E7A2E8B393DD.jpg
    D8C792C5-6556-4846-82DC-E7A2E8B393DD.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 197
I dont think you would see nearly the benefit of the rotisserie on the WSM compared to the kettle. IMO rotisseries are for higher heat, indirectish cooking. The WSM fire bowl is too far from the rotisserie, even if you run the WSM over 300*. My kettle is usually over 400* when I use my rotisserie and the meat is less than a foot from the coals.

I didn't read the fine print and ended up ordering an 18" rotisserie kit for my 22" kettle. Went on craigslist and picked up an 18" kettle for $25! Which became my dedicated roti kettle. It was a simple solution, but it's small.
Get a dedicated kettle!

I didn't read the fine print and ended up ordering an 18" rotisserie kit for my 22" kettle. Went on craigslist and picked up an 18" kettle for $25! Which became my dedicated roti kettle. It was a simple solution, but it's small.
Get a dedicated kettle!

That sounds like something I would do!
When in doubt, buy another kettle!

You should still be able to get 2 birds on there, but the heat will be a bit closer, obviously.
Have you tried it out yet?

@BuffetFan, is that to me?
That happened over a year ago. I've cooked all kinds of stuff on it! Chickens, Porcetta, Drunken Pineapple, I also got a basket for Xmas- done wings, fries, taters.
there isn't much room for a drip pan and two heat zones.

@BuffetFan, is that to me?
QUOTE]

Yup, mistook you for the OP. Sorry!

I inherited a round basket for mine somewhere along the way, but have yet to use it.
It looks like it would be great for roasting a lot of peppers.
I've thought about doing wings in it as well, but was a little concerned that the tumbling action might knock the crust off.
Only one way to find out.

I have the Cajun Bandit rotisserie for my 22" WSM and it works great. The trick to make it work is to put your charcoal grate and fire ring on the lower cooking grate. This raises the heat closer to the meat that's spinning on the rotisserie and works like it should.

Sorry have been busy. Didn't bail on you guys.

So from what I'm hearing the 22" on the kettle is probably better than the 18 on the wsm?

What's the typical temp and cook time on a rotisserie bird on the kettle?

Go Kettle.

I had an 18.5" kettle (RIP) that I did a couple Roti cooks with, and although it worked well, the added space with my 22.5" is easier to maintain a fire and more forgiving when temps either spike or drop.

Have not gone there yet but would like to try a rotisserie on the 18" WSM. The plus is it would also fit the Jumbo Joe allowing some experimenting. I like the rotisserie on my Performer for whole chicken and IMO, there's no sense in doing only one so I always do two. Two would be a squeeze in 18 inches.

Always leave the ring on the Performer for storage purposes and take it off when I need extra grill space. Do most of my grilling on the JJ now. Keep all my cooking rigs in the garage, except the OTS in the back shed which I only enter maybe twice a year. If had the ambition I'd clear out some stuff in the garage and bring the OTS in to use exclusively for the rotisserie.

Being that the roti set up has so many openings, I find temp control really hard. I basically cook everything hot and fast, just have to be careful and adjust your timing.

Back