TripAdvisor's picks America's best BBQ

Funny. Trip Adviser. Only one Texas because all the people who eat BBQ in TX could care less about writing a review on Trip Adviser about our BBQ. Fine by me - who wants a bunch of tourists making the lines even longer for those who go out to eat BBQ. I was a little upset my name wasn't listed.

It is really funny to see hole in the wall BBQ joints I have been patronizing all of these years in Texas now getting so much press. Since the Internet went online, everyone is an expert reviewing these establishments. Too funny. Waiting all hours of the day for brisket, lost for words.

Does anyone here actually open these and think "man I bet trip advisor (or whatever site did the rankings) really had the BBQ Brethren in mind when they rank them and can't wait to see exactly what I was expecting"?? :p

They are for Joe Everyman.

Also, BBQ is one of the most subjective things there is. You may love one style of BBQ and I may hate it, and vice-versa. You may hit a restaurant on an off day, I may hit it on its best day ever. My favorite BBQ restaurant is Jack Stack in KC (Freight House or Country Club Plaza). I like the service, presentation, and food. Other people think it's "meh". To each their own.

I've yet to try either St. Louis place. I've tried to try Bogarts but both times they were out of food and closed...by 1:00 in the afternoon. I've heard mixed reviews on Pappy's but more positive than negative. If you are in St. Louis, I've heard good things about Salt and Smoke in the loop.

California number 8?? Now that's a laugh. I like to know if anyone can give me even one joint in CA that is worthy of consideration for this list.

I will say, there are plenty of good cooks in California, and from time to time, you will run across a great BBQ place. Lots of folks who have eaten all over call out Big Mista's. And many of my local friends who have eaten around the country call out Phat Matt's and Beavercreek, so there must be some merit there.

Porcine Aviator,

So far the Brethren has managed to name 3 places in the huge State of California with what they call good BBQ. 1 in Martinez, 1 in Long Beach and 1 in Oakland I see you're in Santa Barbara so you may want to check with your travel agent to see about flights to these destinations.:biggrin1: You'd think a State with close to 40 million people would have a little more selection.:icon_blush:

So far the Brethren has managed to name 3 places in the huge State of California with what they call good BBQ. 1 in Martinez, 1 in Long Beach and 1 in Oakland I see you're in Santa Barbara so you may want to check with your travel agent to see about flights to these destinations.:biggrin1: You'd think a State with close to 40 million people would have a little more selection.:icon_blush:

Luv 2 smoke:

Yes, I have a recommendation for them: Fly to JFK, rent a car; drive 60 miles out to Brookville Long Island. Take the Brookville bypass, and look for a place called Famous Dave's BBQ.

Incidentally, I see you have a Ins. Reverse Flow and Wilson 640XL--- impressive. The Wilson makes the Shirley look like a sissy BBQ.

I enjoy tripadvisor reviews, but you can't just go by the ratings. Went to a great restaurant, considered above average, last week. It had all 5 stars and a couple 1-star ratings. Naturally, I read the 1-stars and the people could not find the restaurant. It was located upstairs and did not have an obvious entrance, although I found it without problem. THE REVIEWERS DID NOT EVEN EAT AT THE RESTAURANT, but gave it a bad rating because they couldn't find it. Many other times I've read 1-star reviews because they couldn't get a parking spot or couldn't get a reservation when they wanted to. When you consider this, I'm surprised Franklin's is even on the list, with the line being so long: "Saw the line and didn't want to wait 3 hours, so I ate at McDonald's instead -- 1 star for Franklin for not opening at 8:00am and cooking more brisket."

A couple takeaways:
1. You can find great BBQ absolutely anywhere. Some of the best I've had ever is not on any list, and not in any famous "BBQ" region. California? Vermont? Sure, why not? There are great chefs everywhere.
2. The least offensive food often has the highest ratings. Sometimes I check tripadvisor and find the highest-rated restaurants are McDonalds and Burger King, seriously! I somehow find local food that surpasses either of these, but just didn't cut it with the other reviewers, who apparently are more sensitive to strong flavors -- I'm also surprised when reviewers rate different McDonald's differently, "I've been to them all and this is by far the best McDonalds in the city". It's no surprise to me that Carolina BBQ is not represented. For every great review, there is going to be one complaining about that "strange vinegar sauce -- I'm from NYC and BBQ sauce is supposed to be sweet -- 1 star."

Yes, I do submit reviews on Tripadvisor, but only for places that I really enjoy. I also know restaurants can have a bad day. I figure there are plenty of people around to write bad reviews. If you find a gem that goes out of business because of lack of customers, maybe you should have written them a good review to help them out.

Luv 2 smoke:

Yes, I have a recommendation for them: Fly to JFK, rent a car; drive 60 miles out to Brookville Long Island. Take the Brookville bypass, and look for a place called Famous Dave's BBQ.

Incidentally, I see you have a Ins. Reverse Flow and Wilson 640XL--- impressive. The Wilson makes the Shirley look like a sissy BBQ.

As a lifelong long islander I can safely say there is no Famous Daves in Brookville nor is it 60 miles from JFK. Long Island has two locations were Famous Dave settled. Smithtown and Westbury. :laugh:

California number 8?? Now that's a laugh. I like to know if anyone can give me even one joint in CA that is worthy of consideration for this list.

I agree! Phil's BBQ in San Diego isn't even smoked food, Lucille's is dog food, Famous Dave's is just ok, Dickeys is crap. No ma and pa places. I'll take my backyard any day.

Eating at Pappy's is what got me into making BBQ, the ribs were so good. I haven't tried Bogarts yet, but I've heard good things. My favorite place in St. Louis right now is Sugar Fire's. I hope they're not stretching things too thin with three locations now and two more on the way by the end of the year.

I enjoy tripadvisor reviews, but you can't just go by the ratings. Went to a great restaurant, considered above average, last week. It had all 5 stars and a couple 1-star ratings. Naturally, I read the 1-stars and the people could not find the restaurant. It was located upstairs and did not have an obvious entrance, although I found it without problem. THE REVIEWERS DID NOT EVEN EAT AT THE RESTAURANT, but gave it a bad rating because they couldn't find it. Many other times I've read 1-star reviews because they couldn't get a parking spot or couldn't get a reservation when they wanted to. When you consider this, I'm surprised Franklin's is even on the list, with the line being so long: "Saw the line and didn't want to wait 3 hours, so I ate at McDonald's instead -- 1 star for Franklin for not opening at 8:00am and cooking more brisket."

A couple takeaways:
1. You can find great BBQ absolutely anywhere. Some of the best I've had ever is not on any list, and not in any famous "BBQ" region. California? Vermont? Sure, why not? There are great chefs everywhere.
2. The least offensive food often has the highest ratings. Sometimes I check tripadvisor and find the highest-rated restaurants are McDonalds and Burger King, seriously! I somehow find local food that surpasses either of these, but just didn't cut it with the other reviewers, who apparently are more sensitive to strong flavors -- I'm also surprised when reviewers rate different McDonald's differently, "I've been to them all and this is by far the best McDonalds in the city". It's no surprise to me that Carolina BBQ is not represented. For every great review, there is going to be one complaining about that "strange vinegar sauce -- I'm from NYC and BBQ sauce is supposed to be sweet -- 1 star."

Yes, I do submit reviews on Tripadvisor, but only for places that I really enjoy. I also know restaurants can have a bad day. I figure there are plenty of people around to write bad reviews. If you find a gem that goes out of business because of lack of customers, maybe you should have written them a good review to help them out.

haha i'm totally with you. i review a lot on yelp and i always try to hit up a place 2 or 3 times before i review it, unless i'm out of town visiting a place. i agree that there's a lot of jackasses on there, i even started posting reviews to make fun of them or i'll message them and call them out. i messaged a guy the other day who reviewed one of the better italian places in binghamton and in the review he complained about the wait and claimed he left without getting food. i message him and asked how he could review without trying the food and eventually he told me that he ended up getting the food to go and ate it the next day. what a joke! i review a lot of BBQ places in upstate NY and north east pa, if you're ever bored and wanna look through 200 reviews check out barbecutioner.yelp.com

As a lifelong long islander I can safely say there is no Famous Daves in Brookville nor is it 60 miles from JFK. Long Island has two locations were Famous Dave settled. Smithtown and Westbury. :laugh:

Skip,

Of course you are correct. My mind must have been in 1st gear that morning. And, of course, I meant to refer to the Smithtown Bypass.

By the same token, you must also understand that the thrust of my comment, in the context of the thread, was to mock the idea that Trip Advisor has any business rating BBQ joints.

While I did eat at Dave's first restaurant before he was " famous"-- and I really like the guy-- I was attempting irony in recommending his place as a Mecca of fine BBQ.

I apologize if I was not able to convey the intended humor. It just came to mind when I recalled my surprise at seeing his place in Smithtown, when on my way To Port Jefferson, while at my 50th high school reunion.

Yeah, the Wilson is not as prevalent as it once was. My recollection is that Myron used to use one at the Sparks Comps. I don't know if he still is.

Hear tell that they may be going back into production this year.

Wow, hadn't heard about them going back into production?:clap2: The Wilson 640 XL has served me well over the years and has certainly been a conversation piece amongst family, friends and neighbors during cooks. I must admit the Wilson 1000 XL was always the one I admired unfortunately at the time finances would not allow for the purchase of the 1000 XL Wilson. I'm a little flush at the moment have you heard anything about them possibly producing the Wilson 1000 XL again?

Wow, hadn't heard about them going back into production?:clap2: The Wilson 640 XL has served me well over the years and has certainly been a conversation piece amongst family, friends and neighbors during cooks. I must admit the Wilson 1000 XL was always the one I admired unfortunately at the time finances would not allow for the purchase of the 1000 XL Wilson. I'm a little flush at the moment have you heard anything about them possibly producing the Wilson 1000 XL again?
I don't know about the production of the 1000XL. If it is produced, it will be pricey. My recollection is that the 1000 creates a rate dependent hysteresis effect by the use of a serpentine flue design which utilizes shutter controls with a built-in boiler that injects humidity through the flue. Apparently the flue system is stainless steel which raises the cost considerably.

The ostensible result is that you can load the firebox almost any way you want, and the unit will maintain virtually constant temps and humidity as desired by automated shutter control.

I'll bet an 84" unit on trailer will be $5000+.

Regards

I don't know about the production of the 1000XL. If it is produced, it will be pricey. My recollection is that the 1000 creates a rate dependent hysteresis effect by the use of a serpentine flue design which utilizes shutter controls with a built-in boiler that injects humidity through the flue. Apparently the flue system is stainless steel which raises the cost considerably.

The ostensible result is that you can load the firebox almost any way you want, and the unit will maintain virtually constant temps and humidity as desired by automated shutter control.

I'll bet an 84" unit on trailer will be $5000+.

Regards

This post is so freaking cool, sounds like a Star Trek warp engine design but for bbq ! I want one now! Will I ever be able to figure it out! Heck no! Hahah

Back