The weekend was for cooking (and pickling)

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
As there´s basically nothing to do, we dedicated this past weekend to cooking. We´ve gotten into pickling a few months back so we had a bunch of stuff ready for this weekend. But 1st, we started off the weekend with some lamb barbacoa tacos on Friday. Lamb shank rubbed with SPOG and on the pellet grill for about 4 hours. Then times for it´s bath (chipotle in adobo, onion, garlic, spices) until it´s ready to pull. After pulling, it goes back on the smoker for another hour to evaporate some of the moisture. The smell was amazing and this was my best result at doing this dish.

On Saturday the weather was really bad so we spend a lot of time in the kitchen prepping stuff for pickling. We can´t get pickles during this time of the year but mini cucumbers work just fine. So I carefully sliced about 4kgs of cucumbers using a mandoline cutter. And I managed not to cut myself one, SUCCESS. We also pickled some red onions and about 2kgs of jalapenos.

On Sunday, I was going to do a 1st proper cook on the argentine grill. The weather was going to be much better and it was until it wasn´t and started to rain/snow. I held back some jalapenos to make ABTs and we also grilled some padron peppers. To get the bacon on the ABTs cooked, I used the lid of my WGA to cover them. This worked well (but I forgot to take pics!) The main event was a nice tri-tip. Seasoned with Oakridge Santa Maria and Black Ops. Cooked it slowly over the coals. As sides we had some taters and green beans with bacon. When the sides were done, I seared the tri-tip. Between the peppers and the dinner cook, I learned a lot about how to use this grill. The tri-tip was off the charts, even after spending a bunch of hours in the smoke, you could really smell and taste the woodfire on it.

Lamb barbacoa

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Pickling

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Sunday food

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

I can't tell you how good that all looks. I'm really jealous of your pickling skills. As a kid my mom pickled and canned all the time. I was too busy being a boy to learn. Now I wish I would have.

Wow,just Wow! I am so jealous of your grill. Those pickles look stellar also.Did you just pickle the jalapeños or make the “ candied” sweet jalapeños?

That's just showing the rest of us how it's done!

Love the combo of long and short game here.

Wish I had some proper English Pickled Shallots packed away these days...

Yoeri, What a weekend adventure in cooking!! Everything looks Absolutely Amazing, so good I am licking the screen this morning. I love home made pickles!! Enjoy battering them and frying them, try it when they are ready!!
You sure are Killing It with that new rig!!!

Thanks all!

I can't tell you how good that all looks. I'm really jealous of your pickling skills. As a kid my mom pickled and canned all the time. I was too busy being a boy to learn. Now I wish I would have.

It´s not that hard, you just need some time and find a decent recipe.
Misses started with a recipe from a cookbook and tweaked it, they usually have to much sugar for our taste. Then you can further change it up by adding stuff like garlic, pepper corns, juniper berries etc.

Wow,just Wow! I am so jealous of your grill. Those pickles look stellar also.Did you just pickle the jalapeños or make the “ candied” sweet jalapeños?

Just pickled the jalapenos but I need to try the candied version some day. Plan on growing my own jalapenos this year so hopefully that will be a success and have sufficient to try peppers to try the candied.

Yoeri, What a weekend adventure in cooking!! Everything looks Absolutely Amazing, so good I am licking the screen this morning. I love home made pickles!! Enjoy battering them and frying them, try it when they are ready!!
You sure are Killing It with that new rig!!!

I´ve never tried fried pickles but I might have to give it a shot!

Back