America’s Best & Worst Cities for BBQ ~ How Do Your Picks Rate?

This was picked up and ridiculed by every local media outlet . . . which probably generated exactly the sort of clicks the trolls were looking for.

OK - I am from New Orleans. While there has been an attempt to improve in the past couple of years due to our hosting of Hogs for the Cause, there is no was our city belongs in the top 50, nay 100, cities.

I have been a barbecue enthusiast for 25+ years. In the mid-90's I was convinced I was the only person in town who didn't boil ribs. I converted many people in the process. The local restaurant critic was Tom Fitzmorris. He had a food forum called NOMenu. I used to be a guest host and was considered the local BBQ expert.

The hint that New Orleans is not a Q mecca is that most of our places have multiple sauces trying to replicate other cities styles (Memphis-style, KC-Style, Texas-Style, etc.). If you are just trying to copy, you ain't it.

I have traveled to many places and tried the Q at many of the famous and not-so-famous joints. My personal favorite was Cozy Corner in Memphis. Just great. I like Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, but not the franchises in Mobile and Atlanta. I went to a great place in El Paso, I forget the name, but have it somewhere.

New Orleans is a top 5 food destination in the US, but BBQ? Not a chance.

Back