THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okie Sawbones

Banned
I picked up some nice looking tablitas at the Mexican market after hearing about them. I thought I would give them a try. Shook on Peppered Cow, let them set for an hour, them grilled over medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side.

They had terrific flavor, but they were tough as a boot. So I must be missing a step along the way. Should I marinate them? Pound the hell out of them with a Jaccard? Other?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

We get them cuts from our Cambodian Butchers.
marinade overnight in Korean style marinade and grill like you did.
Come out Beaut,always a bit chewy but never as tough as Boots

Never heard of them...What cut are they? Maybe use a tenderizer like the jaccard.

They are a cut through the short rib. I still have one batch. I'm going to jaccard the hell out of them, marinate overnight using pineapple juice (bromelain), then grill. If they are still tough, I'm done with them.

I Jaccard them and marinate with some kiwi, trick a Korean friend taught me. Just don't use too much or marinate too long or they'll just disintegrate when they hit the grill. Hmmm... How would I know that??? :rolleyes:

Oh, flanken cut short ribs, you definitely want to marinate them. The pineapple is a good thought. We use those for Korean ribs, they're a little chewy even when done right.

Back