Tonight I flipped my meat

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
And it was good.

I bought a whole boneless ribeye roast from a local grocer for $7/lb, they usually have some sort of “angus” label from random midwest farms (not IBP/Excel/etc) that I’m always pretty happy with, and these were no exception. I figured I’d stock the freezer up with some cheap beef since who knows what the market will be like later in the year.

Anyhow, I made some crispy pan fried Yukon gold taters and roasted some Brussels sprouts in the oven. Once the sides were done I went out to flip the steaks over a hot lump charcoal fire on the Weber kettle 26”. These steaks were probably 3/4 - 1” thick so I was concerned about overcooking them. I cooked no more than 30 seconds per side before flipping.

Was pretty happy with the flippity floppity steaks. I haven’t grilled a steak on a kettle grill in a LONG time, the Primo has taken those duties. I think the proximity of the meat to the coals on the kettle was particularly conducive to floppy floppy steak cooking.

Last edited:
Nice work, Neil! I find this method, when properly executed per my tutorial on the subject, produce a "smoky, crusty, juicy steak". Yours certainly looks to be that...

3SLbgkv.jpg

Last edited:
Back