totally Raw/uncooked turn in @ Troy Pig Out, Troy NY, 7/20,14

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didnt do anything wrong, you just didnt actually win a qualifier for those contests.

Plus you have said repeatedly that you dont care about the Jack or the Royal.

I wont be applying for the Royal, and I will let the Jack decide if they send me an app or not. I have other draws its ok

Last edited:
WTH?? Why would or should a GC be penalized for the actions of another team?

The entry was scored appropriately wheather it be DQ or lowballed with 2's. Either one doesnt change results. Once the entry is scored, it cant be undone.

Jacked up took the GC..
and the raw meat entry is 'allowed'(or not specifically disallowed)so why are folks jumpin in their cheerios? sorry.. i dont get it.

WTH?? Why would or should a GC be penalized for the actions of another team?

The entry was scored appropriately wheather it be DQ or lowballed with 2's. Either one doesnt change results. Once the entry is scored, it cant be undone.

Jacked up took the GC..
and the raw meat entry is 'allowed'(or not specifically disallowed)so why are folks jumpin in their cheerios? sorry.. i dont get it.

cry babies!

No conspiracy but plenty of hurt ego..... now we have a real dilemma on this thread!
Either the OP is a liar or cannot tell the difference between raw or undercooked meat or those defending the cook and pork turn-in.
Sounds like the pork turn-in employed the ill-advised "Low & Fast" method.

This cry baby calls "BULLCHIT"!!!!! My money is on the OP's honesty and integrity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trucky is spot on.
I was curious about the turn in rule and had actually discussed this with the Lovelys in Stamford last week. (They ran the Troy event, coincidentally.) You need 25 teams to turn in SOMETHING for it to count as a qualifier. It could be the wrong meat. You could put hot dogs in the box. You could put one piece of meat in the box. If there aren't 25 turn ins though, the contest will NOT be a qualifier.

Since Troy was exactly at 25 teams, it wouldn't surprise me if they were warned about this at the cook's meeting - with exactly 25 teams it was important that everyone turn SOMETHING in on time. I am sure that Matt and Sledneck are happy that a team turned in raw pork instead of nothing at all. I'm sure that team was turning something it to make it a qualifier, and just decided to have a little fun with it. A box with any piece of protein in it would have done the trick.

I think the way the qualifiers work is kind of unfair in that regard. If you win a contest with 25 teams, and one team is 3 seconds late on a turn in, your win doesn't count. If they hand in, say, raw pork it does. Personally, I think if 25 teams actually show up for the event it should count.

Spot on!

I guess it depends on where the line is drawn, or how much you are willing to allow it to be bent. There are cases where equipment has been pooled, or somebody cooked chicken on a kettle, or some cooks contributed leftover meat to be turned in etc...
No matter where it's drawn, there will be one or more people that will test it.

Hence the "Man In The Glass" poem.....

I was right in the middle of this so here is what happened:
The team in question was a volunteer involved with the event. He was asked by the organizer and reps to compete so the event could keep its qualifier status as a couple teams backed out / couldn't make it. He only wanted to do chicken and ribs. The reps and organizers said that they needed him to do all four and that is when the raw thing came in. The reps specifically said that turning in raw pork is ok and would count for qualifier status. Same with brisket which they said he could even grind up and make burgers, though I am not sure what he did in this category.

I actually donated a left over raw pork butt for him, thinking that he would actually cook it, but it seems he took the reps advise.

I do thank the volunteer for stepping up and giving it a shot. The reps and organizers did what they could to make sure the event was a qualifier, but how far is to far?

i dont see the problem. Something was entered and
appropriately scored by the judges. It really doesnt matter what or why it was entered because no matter what, the DAL would be in effect. Parted, uncooked, foreign object in box, whatever, result would be the same. IMO, this is no different than someone sending in undercooked chicken that judges deem inedible at the judging table when the juices are bloody.

The last minute team thing has been going on for years. If thats a problem(generally) that someone feels need to be addressed, then take it to the board with a solution.

that being said.. IMO, it was a dumb move. If you want to make a statement or joke of a hopeless entry, OK fine. Roll it in the grass and send it in on a bed of sand, but theres more creative ways than turning in raw which can contaminate or make someone sick. ...

edited to be more clear.

I totally disagree and here is why....once discovered by the judges the Rep should have taken the uncooked entry back to the team and investigated why it was turned-in in the state it was. Upon proper identification by the Rep and based upon other facts stated by teams that were there, this team was only interested in turning in ribs and chicken. The Rep should have DQ'd the team on the spot and asked to leave the event.

Question; if you didn't cook the pork and turned it in raw, how or where did the brisket come from?

But alas, the event needed 25 teams and everything was judged appropriately thus making it a qualifier.

Question; if the Rep would have DQ'd the team or better yet if the DAL team did not turn-in pork or brisket, we have 24 official teams, would we be having this discussion at this level with all this animosity?????

Bottom line - 25 teams or 24 teams the results would not have changed from spot 24 up to 1st place. The teams that got calls, the teams that walked, teams that took GC and RGC would still be the same.

This Brethren is large and wide in numbers, if what I say on here infuriates you just remember what goes around comes around. Meaning, in the end, individuals will make up their own minds and hold their own opinions. A reputation takes a while to build but only a second to destroy. That is what all my prior post refer to, without any name calling too. What was……the meat itself and the quagmire it has created.

In closing my fellow brethren if I pissed in your oatmeal and ruffled your feathers give me the middle finger when seeing me at a comp. If you’re okay with what was said and do not mind someone who tells it like it is, please say hello.

Last edited:
There is no question about the winning teams. The issue is whether the number of entries was messed with for the pork category. Was a last minute team told it was ok to turn in raw meat. That then is outside the bounds and the "spirit" of the rules to make the comp a qualifier. Yes, I was there just not at that table before y'all start in. Teams have been in comps that they hoped would be a qualifier and turned out it did not, (Warren). My personal opinion is this should be looked into by KCBS and if there is evidence that things were "manipulated" pull the qualifier status.

FYI: Please Be Advised.

RED TEXT - RESERVED FOR ADMIN NOTICES

GREEN TEXT - RESERVED FOR MODERATOR NOTICES

There is no question about the winning teams. The issue is whether the number of entries was messed with for the pork category. Was a last minute team told it was ok to turn in raw meat. That then is outside the bounds and the "spirit" of the rules to make the comp a qualifier. Yes, I was there just not at that table before y'all start in. Teams have been in comps that they hoped would be a qualifier and turned out it did not, (Warren). My personal opinion is this should be looked into by KCBS and if there is evidence that things were "manipulated" pull the qualifier status.

KCBS does not determine what is, or isn't, a qualifier.

I totally disagree and here is why....once discovered by the judges the Rep should have taken the uncooked entry back to the team and investigated why it was turned-in in the state it was. Upon proper identification by the Rep and based upon other facts stated by teams that were there, this team was only interested in turning in ribs and chicken. The Rep should have DQ'd the team on the spot and asked to leave the event.

have to disagree with you here..

Once its accepted and made it to the table it MUST BE JUDGED AS PRESENTED.

Teams dont get a chance to 'explain' until they see the dreaded walk of death. Thats when your resting between entries and you see the reps walking towards you after scoring with your box in hand. And hiding behind your trailer doesnt work.. i tried that once. :icon_shy

In closing my fellow brethren if I pissed in your oatmeal and ruffled your feathers give me the middle finger when seeing me at a comp. If you’re okay with what was said and do not mind someone who tells it like it is, please say hello.

Fool-

I know you are new to the scene but in general, BBQ people are good people. We don't walk around contests giving each other the finger. At the next contest I'll say hello, have a shot and a beer with you, and then bury you on the score sheet much like Levittown. Deal?

I think CBQ says it best.

I think the way the qualifiers work is kind of unfair in that regard. If you win a contest with 25 teams, and one team is 3 seconds late on a turn in, your win doesn't count. If they hand in, say, raw pork it does. Personally, I think if 25 teams actually show up for the event it should count.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
[

I know you are new to the scene but in general, BBQ people are good people. We don't walk around contests giving each other the finger. At the next contest I'll say hello, have a shot and a beer with you, and then bury you on the score sheet much like Levittown. Deal?

No, not really. Keep your ego, beer and shot! I will keep my honor and integrity.

Considering that I was a lone cook until being rescued by my spouse bringing me medications Saturday @ 2 am, due to developing a Migraine, diarrhea, vomiting, all whilst still pushing through and finishing despite the flu. I would say looking at those scores, not a bad way to lose my pro comp virginity, KCBS. Yes that’s right our very 1st competition!

Easy smack talk for a veteran team to a brand new never competed before that event team. And by those scores for our 1st event, no DAL, no raw meat turned in.

Can you just tell me where any team in the event lost there honor and integrity. Especially Jacked Up. I am just confused as to where a team did something wrong. Even the team who turned in the raw pork was given bad info by the reps( or so u think), so that team did nothing wrong either. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back