totally Raw/uncooked turn in @ Troy Pig Out, Troy NY, 7/20,14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it depends on where the line is drawn, or how much you are willing to allow it to be bent. There are cases where equipment has been pooled, or somebody cooked chicken on a kettle, or some cooks contributed leftover meat to be turned in etc...

No matter where it's drawn, there will be one or more people that will test it.

Is there some rule that disallows cooking chicken on a kettle?

We had 3 DQ's just in ribs in Waterloo. Alum foil on Brother Daves rib, garnish of that hip new green - kale, and a oversized piece of onion in their sauce. Plus 2 others later on.
Ed

Is there some rule that disallows cooking chicken on a kettle?

We had 3 DQ's just in ribs in Waterloo. Alum foil on Brother Daves rib, garnish of that hip new green - kale, and a oversized piece of onion in their sauce. Plus 2 others later on.
Ed

No, but when a team is created on the fly and loaned a kettle and given a package of thighs to cook to turn in one entry...that's how we get to the point that we have the rules we do now.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, and at the time I think most of the examples I used were legal.

giving intentionally raw meat to the judges seems to be a dangerous way to meet the 25 team rule. i realize that it was probably obvious to the judges that they shouldn't eat it but I would never risk making someone sick over an assumption.

I judged a contest this spring that the brisket entry was late, the rep brought it to the table, table captain gave us all the numbers, (including the late entry), and the rep instructed us to give it all 1's and write on the back of the card "Late Entry". So it was actually scored and a score of 20 showed up on the results page.

Edit to add: I just check, there were 25 teams at that contest.

That is how that works. You can turn in an entry if you are late. It does get a score. If you are late and turn around and walk away then it is not scored, but if you put it down on the table late the box still gets a score.

Being the risk of danger of raw meat, it should have been a DQ, and the reps should have brought it back to the team. But I reckon that is not a rule.

I bet you three judges scored it: 222, 555, 999.

Just perfect!!!!
My stomach hurts now..
Ed

Flipping the coin but could it be they were turning in Pork sushi as their entry???

I know - it's probably nothing more than the 25 team qualifier but something will need to be done about it either case. Should the reps have allowed this "sham" to go on or loosen the rule up some?

Exactly who are you guys referring to? Who did this "raw pork" bandit work for?

Lol! I'm the only one asking. And I'm guessing that Darryl's' Devious Deeds was focused exclusively on DAL across the board or, I hope not, something worse.

Congrats on GC.

I'll never forget that Geer is your hero for spiking ribs with cayenne on national tv. Too funny.

If they do take action on this, they need to take action against who did this and allowed it. Turning in raw pork is ridiculous. I not like many other bbq guys could careless about the jack draw or not. The only thing that will suck in this situation is that the only person to get screwed would be me and I did nothing wrong, actually did everything right by winning. Oh well, typical bbq BS.

If they do take action on this, they need to take action against who did this and allowed it. Turning in raw pork is ridiculous. I not like many other bbq guys could careless about the jack draw or not. The only thing that will suck in this situation is that the only person to get screwed would be me and I did nothing wrong, actually did everything right by winning. Oh well, typical bbq BS.

Jacked UP,
I hope bringing this up doesn't create a problem for you or anyone.
It was just quite odd and not seeing a reason for it it figured that with this board being I believe quite large, someone else may have seen this in the past or done something similar.
I have also seen the Brethren logo at contests in my area so I thought maybe someone was there and had maybe seen it or had an observation from the competitors area.
I hope this doesn't become a problem for anyone and congrats on your win.

The only thing that will suck in this situation is that the only person to get screwed would be me and I did nothing wrong...

Exactly. Matt did nothing wrong here.

I don't have a problem with encouraging teams to turn something in under the current rules. The entry was judged...and DQ'd by the judges.

I just think the rule should be different. Require 4 turns from 4 real competitors at the event. No shared equipment - 25 real competing teams. Just don't punish the winner because someone is late.

Jacked up, it is unfortunate we broke down on the way in :( had that not happened there would have been 26 teams and you wouldn't have to worry about this foolish move. I did everything in my power to get there. Living in the middle of no where sure sucks sometimes. The rental company could have gotten me a truck sunday at noon......guess we would have been DQ'd too...lol Enjoy your win, congrats on the GC. maybe we will see you at Hudson valley?

Vigus' vittles

Normally not a tinfoil hatter but based on the samples at my table it makes sense. We had a rib box no garnish (which is fine under the rules) but it was one entire rack of ribs whacked into bones and swept off the cutting board into the box. Several of the boxes that day made me think that someone begged a backyard griller to compete so they had 25 teams

Did this team pay an entry fee and pass an inspection? This team - like everyone else in the field - should of had skin in the game ie, $250+ meat cost. If they were able to play without paying entry fee and passing an inspection with their own meat that's a problem.

In any case if they clean this issue up should be something going forward and not punish jacked up, this kind of stuff happens at contests all the time...

Normally not a tinfoil hatter but based on the samples at my table it makes sense. We had a rib box no garnish (which is fine under the rules) but it was one entire rack of ribs whacked into bones and swept off the cutting board into the box. Several of the boxes that day made me think that someone begged a backyard griller to compete so they had 25 teams

I see boxes of experienced competitors that look like that. This entire thing is an assumption and no hard facts. Haters gonna hate! hahaha

There was a contest that we cooked at last year that ended up short on teams due to some teams backing out because of forecasted weather. The way I understand it, the day before turn ins, there was a last minute team "made up" by a vendor that ended up cooking and turning in as well as a registered team that was asked to split into two separate teams, which they did legally since they had two separate cookers and ended up cooking out of two separate sites. By doing this shuffling, the contest hit the minimum number of teams. I think there was also another team added at the last minute, although no one seemed to see them come in to cook it, but who knows. The list on the score sheet had 25 teams, so technically, it worked.

Now, as far as I know, everything was legal, as in no raw pork or sketchy turn ins.

All in all, the way it all went down didn't sit well with some of the teams that were there, but one of the teams that was "split" ended up with a legitimate GC. We were happy for him (he's a friend), but had things not gone the way they did, who knows who else would have ended up taking the contest (we ended up 3rd that day).

In the end, it was a qualifier, which was cool and all, but it just ended up being a lot of things thrown together to make that happen. I have no idea if people actually had to pay entry fees and I'm not saying there was anything sketchy at all. One one hand, the organizer was looking out for the contest and all of the teams that WERE there, so that's cool. The last thing any of us wanted was to do was invest all the time and money to cook and it not even be a qualifier. The weather didn't end up being as bad as they forecasted (shocker, I know) and it's a regular comp that a lot of Indiana teams always go to. It just went down weird I guess.

I'd rather had it happen the way it did than the other way it could have.
Thing was, though, we checked and double checked with the organizer that he had enough teams and were told several times that he had plenty of teams coming and not to worry. Then we get there and set up and find out about the reality of the situation. THAT didn't sit well with us.

I have to agree, though, that throwing a team and a raw pork box just to make it a qualifier is a bit over the line. I also agree, though, that the winner of the comp shouldn't be penalized for it.

I see boxes of experienced competitors that look like that. This entire thing is an assumption and no hard facts. Haters gonna hate! hahaha

Not being a hater at all. I understand your position. I do not believe that boxes like I saw have shown up at tables in the past. I did not even mention yet the one chicken box that each sample was 2 small strips of thigh meat wrapped in a piece of skin. It was legal and was properly judged. Saying the overall quality of the cooking was below anything I have seen so far.

Were there shenanigans? I don't know and don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back