Time to play "Name that wood"

Without a definitive answer on the question...thanks to the ninja son :heh: This thread is about as worthless as BOOBIES on a boar hog! :wink: ...as to quote my Dad.

Without a definitive answer on the question...thanks to the ninja son :heh: This thread is about as worthless as BOOBIES on a boar hog! :wink: ...as to quote my Dad.

haven't heard that expression in awhile. love it.
once worked for a guy who used it. think he was from Kansas or Nebraska.

I think he later became an expert in wood identification. we need him now.
:wink:

No "rays"
Fast growing
High "weight"
Doesn't smell fruity
Not sweet

Still think pecan....all mine's in chunks, no long splits, so no visuals to compare, but it does look like that......pretty clear, not much color variation in the core.......... doesn't smell "fruity" more "nutty".....it's a nut tree..........fairly mild as things go......doesn't have the sharp edge of hickory.......

Any leaves, or did you just get it like that?

Wow. 1500+ views.

Doubt it's a fruit wood. It looks like oak has been ruled out. Pecan doesn't really grow here (does hickory). The most common hardwood tree left in this area is maple. So unless there is something that eliminates that (like the lack of rays did for oak) that's my best guess. I'll compare it to the store bought bag of maple wood I have in the morning.

Guess I win. Feel free to check this post as helpful, thank me and give me a pat on the back.

It's heavy, wouldn't that eliminate poplar? Plus I don't see many poplar trees in peoples yards. Yesterday 10:17 PM
Yes, the stuff grows like weeds around here.
Poplar usually has a greenish tint to it as well.
Green it smells like someone is burning corn stalks.
Dried it burns a lot like very dry Pine without the popping.
Makes great kindling, not much good for a sustained fire.
I burn it on the fire pit all the time for bonfires but it's never getting near my cooker.

Your wood looks more like Hickory to me than anything else that I've seen, but I've never seen Pecan.

WMMV,
Steve

Back