Time to play "Name that wood"

If it was still alive and hadn't been cut down yet, I could definitely tell you if it was a conifer or not. :thumb: That's pretty much the limit of my botanical knowledge.

Well maple seems to be the consensus. With a slight chance of oak. Guess I'll throw a rack on tonight. I haven't used much maple but I think I'll be able to tell if it's oak by the smell.

was looking at the rings.....APPEARS, only appears, the small one shows 4 & the one on right, 5 years.....big, wide rings= fast growth.....still thinking pecan......don't know anything else that grows quite that wide, that fast......

....or, I'm totally wrong.....might smell like hickory, only sweeter by a bit?

Here is a piece of oak from my stack. Without sanding, you can see the rays running perpendicular to the rings. All oak has this but more pronounced in white oak. I spent a summer, laid off from my woodworking job, working with a guy who takes down old barns for the lumber. Mostly they were built out of oak. The kicker was everyone wanted to by white oak. The only reliable way to tell white oak from red oak is the spray the end grain with sodium nitrite. The white oak would stain dark and the red oak wouldn't. I have spent more than my fair share of time looking at oak end grain. image.jpg

Last edited:
was looking at the rings.....APPEARS, only appears, the small one shows 4 & the one on right, 5 years.....big, wide rings= fast growth.....still thinking pecan......don't know anything else that grows quite that wide, that fast......

....or, I'm totally wrong.....might smell like hickory, only sweeter by a bit?

Yes very few rings.

Maple will have a sweet sugary aroma when burning/smoking.
The original pictures do not have the telltale brown heartwood of maple, but they were a bit out of focus and thus hard to distinguish.

Back