Alder Wood for Salmon

deboy922

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
-
I am a novice smoker. Started with a pellet grill and recently bought OKJ Bronco drum smoker. My first few cooks, I did not like my outcome - too bitter. I have cranked up the cook temp from 225F-ish to 300F-ish, and I like the results better.

I recently did a salmon filet with a chunk of hickory on top of Cowboy briquettes at 300F for about 50 minutes to 145F IT, and it was the best that I have done. But always trying to improve.

I read that alder wood is good on salmon. But I also read it is milder, and I did not think my hickory smoke was too smoky. Anyway, just looking for improved sweet smoke. Please share any opinions on alder smoke on salmon or any other smoking tips that might improve my game.

Also, having trouble sourcing alder wood. Any opinions on this place: https://fruitawoodchunks.com/shop/ols/products/alder-wood-for-smoking ? Will this wood be any better than the wood chunks I get at Home Depot or Walmart like Cowboy or Kingsford brand, or will I not tell a difference?

Thanks!

I am a novice smoker. Started with a pellet grill and recently bought OKJ Bronco drum smoker. My first few cooks, I did not like my outcome - too bitter. I have cranked up the cook temp from 225F-ish to 300F-ish, and I like the results better.

I recently did a salmon filet with a chunk of hickory on top of Cowboy briquettes at 300F for about 50 minutes to 145F IT, and it was the best that I have done. But always trying to improve.

I read that alder wood is good on salmon. But I also read it is milder, and I did not think my hickory smoke was too smoky. Anyway, just looking for improved sweet smoke. Please share any opinions on alder smoke on salmon or any other smoking tips that might improve my game.

Also, having trouble sourcing alder wood. Any opinions on this place: https://fruitawoodchunks.com/shop/ols/products/alder-wood-for-smoking ? Will this wood be any better than the wood chunks I get at Home Depot or Walmart like Cowboy or Kingsford brand, or will I not tell a difference?

Thanks!

Best source for wood chunks ^^^^ furitawood

TkIqwpe.jpg

Alder (or several species of it) is a traditional salmon smoking wood in the Northwest and the main reasons are... it's a native wood, and it's mild. I can smoke trout, steelhead and salmon with a variety of woods, including hickory with excellent results. I prefer fruit woods, but often will use a mix of woods. Cherry is always a good option for me.

JBUlxRY.jpg

tnnpFcz.jpg

If you were getting a bitter flavor, it's because your smoke is too heavy or your smoker's draft (airflow) needs to be improved. You need a clean burning fire, and your flavor wood has to be sized just right for your cooker. I'll often mix some pellets into the charcoal, then break down chunks into smaller pieces.

I prefer skin-on fillets, and I never turn the fillets. I monitor the internal temps, and watch for the albumen to surface. If you wait for salmon to 'flake' it's likely overdone and will be drier.

HALG9Zg.jpg

If you want to move from hot smoked (flavor smoked) to cured and smoked, I can cover you on that method too. It takes more prep, an overnight rest, and 3 to 4 hours of smoke time, but it's another option to enjoy.

mMhNmcf.jpg

TkIqwpe.jpg

Alder (or several species of it) is a traditional salmon smoking wood in the Northwest and the main reasons are... it's a native wood, and it's mild. I can smoke trout, steelhead and salmon with a variety of woods, including hickory with excellent results. I prefer fruit woods, but often will use a mix of woods. Cherry is always a good option for me.

JBUlxRY.jpg

tnnpFcz.jpg

If you were getting a bitter flavor, it's because your smoke is too heavy or your smoker's draft (airflow) needs to be improved. You need a clean burning fire, and your flavor wood has to be sized just right for your cooker. I'll often mix some pellets into the charcoal, then break down chunks into smaller pieces.

I prefer skin-on fillets, and I never turn the fillets. I monitor the internal temps, and watch for the albumen to surface. If you wait for salmon to 'flake' it's likely overdone and will be drier. Albumen will surface around 130° and you can pull the fillets around 140° to 143°.

If you want to move from hot smoked (flavor smoked) to cured and smoked, I can cover you on that method too. It takes more prep, an overnight rest, and 3 to 4 hours of smoke time, but it's another option to enjoy.

mMhNmcf.jpg

fY0g5Zn.jpg

Back