THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That is weird. I got lots of white smoke in he very beginning but it gets up to temp fast and then clears to clean smoke in about 30 mins on my mini.

I concur with the rest, I think it is my favorite, readily available briquette for smoking. The Lowes here carries it all the time so I can always get it. Other nice briquettes show up randomly and go away at local stores but Stubb's is always there!

Has any1 ever seen this with Stubbs ? Heavy non stop white smoke

I have used Stubbs briqs exclusively for over a year, and I have only seen "non-stop white smoke" once, after my coal sat outside too long and absorbed too much moisture.

As others here have stated, Stubbs does smoke more when it first lights up, but it usually settles down once it's fully ashed over, and burns very clean with a nice smell thereafter.

I think you got a bad batch. I've used it in snake method on a 9+ hour cook with minimal smoke other than my wood chunks, and I was rolling sweet blue TBS for most of that time with Stubbs.

First time I used Stubbs I was impressed and never went back. I can't speak for any other charcoal but it imparts a much better flavor than KBB imo. It also has a much better and natural smell when it burns. I can't tell if there's less ash or if it burns hotter but I do know it's the only coal I use for smoking purposes on my weber.
I've only used lump in my Akorn kamado but I'd say if you were comparing Stubbs to lump the difference would be maybe a slightly more smokey smell with stubbs and I believe stubbs (or any briquette) gives a better smoke ring due to it giving off more nitrogen when it burns. Now I'm by no means a scientist and I've only read that part about nitrogen so I don't have a clue if it's true, but I do know I get deep smoke rings when I cook with the weber and stubbs and a very fain one with royal oak lump in the kamado. By the way I like lump too, I just use it in the kamado only.

Yeah idk it was def odd sucks but I don't think I'll give it another try if I use coals I'll go with king comp. if all went as planned I would be Enjoying some beef ribs in 2 hrs ��

Really bothers me I can figure out why so much billowing white smoke like never b4. Really odd. I just bought the 2 bags from lowes on Friday

What method are you using to light them?
Like the others have mentioned I usually get the white smoke in the beginning but once the kettle is up to temp it'll just be thin blue.

Compared to lump though, I get hardly any smoke at all with lump even at start up when it's cold.

How many did you light to start off the minion? I notice with KBB I need more to get it up to temp faster with Stubbs 6-10 briqs will start it off nice in the mini. If I was using a full size WSM if bet 12-15 would be good.

I used 15 or so the thhing that's odd is the dome therm read 250ish and my thermo works read 110 at top grate so I have no ISO what the heck happened or what therm was right but regardless it was 1hr 30 min of white smoke till the point I said f it and axed operation beef rip till next weekend with lump

I'm with Decoy (6-10 for the kettle). That's about the same I use with minion or snake depending on the temp I'm looking for.

I get white smoke in my cabinet smoker with Stubb's. Never really thick smoke and the meat never tastes bad. I'm guessing Stubb's is made with mesquite.

I think there may be two versions of Stubbs on the market. I have noticed that the smaller 9 pound bags I get locally are made in Mexico, and have a slightly sweeter smell.

The 15 pound bags from Lowes and Amazon are made in the USA, and seem to have less flavor and smoke a bit more when I light them.

They seem to perform the same, so maybe I'm wrong about there being two versions. Maybe the bigger bags from the big department stores are just older, having sat around in a warehouse somewhere for months absorbing moisture?

Regardless, I'm surprised about the OPs experience with thick white smoke for over an hour. I've probably burned 500 pounds of this stuff over the last year and only had that experience once, with a bag of the USA stuff that sat around open outside in moist weather.

I think you got a bad batch.

I think there may be two versions of Stubbs on the market. I have noticed that the smaller 9 pound bags I get locally are made in Mexico, and have a slightly sweeter smell.

The 15 pound bags from Lowes and Amazon are made in the USA, and seem to have less flavor and smoke a bit more when I light them.

They seem to perform the same, so maybe I'm wrong about there being two versions. Maybe the bigger bags from the big department stores are just older, having sat around in a warehouse somewhere for months absorbing moisture?

Regardless, I'm surprised about the OPs experience with thick white smoke for over an hour. I've probably burned 500 pounds of this stuff over the last year and only had that experience once, with a bag of the USA stuff that sat around open outside in moist weather.

I think you got a bad batch.

I forgot about this! He is correct, the Stubbs not made in America is not as good. I've read about it and apparently there's a definite difference.

I always get mine at Lowes or Walmart...15lb bags. Walmart is the cheapest.

Stubb's is my favorite briquette and I get it from Lowes also. In Texas any good brand doesn't sit on the shelf long though.

I have also used Stubb's and liked it. I can't think of another briquette that would get as many positive reviews. Sorry your experience was bad.

...the Stubbs not made in America is not as good. I've read about it and apparently there's a definite difference.

To be clear, I am of the opinion that the Made in Mexico Stubbs is of slightly superior quality. I seem to get a better smell and a little less smoke when using it, compared to the 15 pound bags that I used to get from Amazon and Lowes that say Made in the USA.

Ultimately, the difference is minimal, and I think it may just be that the bigger stores keep more stock sitting around on pallets, getting stale. My local grocer gets the 9 pound bags of the Mexico stuff, and they always seem fresh.

Back