The older you get, the more expensive your toys get...

Nice kamado, you're gonna love it!

I've been using the weber cubes. I start the fire with one, maybe two if I want it up to temp faster, and then I go prep. By the time I'm done messing with things it's usually up to temp and running tbs. I'm usually not in a hurry so this works for me.

I have a BGE and I have a handheld propane torch that is perfect for getting the lump started. Buy one that has the hose from the tank to the hand-held nozzle, this way the bottle orientation is corret while you are doing the lighting. I think it was $18 on Amazon. I keep one in my toyhauler and at home.

Pick up a cheap 2 setting heat gun, I have a harbor freight special but if you want something slightly better i think Wagner makes one. Works better than a torch or the starters plus no fuel to worry about as long as you don't plugging a cord in.

The combination of the heat plus the forced air fires up the kamado faster than anything else i've seen.

Used a couple of the Kamado Joe fire starters. Don't have a weed burner... Yet... How long does it normally take to fire up with the starters?

With cubes it may take an hour to get to a higher smoking temp with my egg. Weed burner takes less than half that.

Very nice!
I have a LBGE but I think I need a Big Joe as well. I run out of room with big cooks. Maybe this fall. No Costco deal here though.

My BGE XL I started with my propane torch.... Works very well and you can build big fast or small. Just a few seconds and it was going. My new WCS has a propane starter built in.

Was getting late, so I did some thighs. Need some practice starting the lump. took a while to get it up to temp.

Get a weed burner or a looflighter shouldn't take longer than 10 min. Key is to get it lit ( maybe 1 min with weed burner or loof ) shut the lid and bring it up to temp with the vents wide open

Got it going today in about a half hour. Never cooked with lump before and it's been a number of years since I cooked with charcoal. Little rusty, but it's all coming back... Just like riding a bike... :mrgreen:

I really like the looks of that Kamado...

Never had the chance to use one - do those things require any sort of special seasoning process before you use it?

Back