Anyone ever buy a Fresh BRT Ham?

Mod Note:

All right boys and girls...This is the second time that I have taken time away from my family on Easter. Cut ythe crap! Stop the bickerting and name caling! If you have an issue with a member user the ignore feature or just movre along!

Last edited:
@itsdone.. suggest you take a look around and read the room.

then read this..

I can read the room just fine. I didn't attack anyone, i made responses that others did not like. They did not have to post in my thread, and to be honest, i would rather them not, because they were not helpful at all. It's hilarious they got mad because i hate pork Loin.

I’m sure you’ve heard of Canadian Bacon?

Yes i have heard of Canadian Bacon. I have made it. It was not made from Garbage pork Loin.

20200902-235220.jpg

20200903-142444.jpg

20200903-193053.jpg

20200903-204629.jpg

20200906-220623.jpg

Last edited:
The Ingredients for Canadian Bacon. Take notes because i apparently never contribute any helpful information.

20240401-222037.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW This kind of thing is simply a "Leg of Pork" here and it is roasted, bone in or bone out depending on your preference.

I suppose that removes the confusion of what is, or is not a "ham". Having been a member of the site long enough, and having read well enough, and having paid considerable attention to regional terminology and customs on the great US of A, just calling it a "Leg of Pork" IMHO solves a few issues.

Bob... Yes, go buy one. If you don't feel like boning one out yourself it's worth it because removing the bone for a butcher is pretty easy and they truss it up pretty well.

You will get roast pork just like you've described you want and you'll be very happy. It has sufficient fat content for your purposes but can become a bit dry if you go overtemp. Recommending 165F as an absolute maximum IT and a good rest will give you what you want and you can can carve it up without having it fall apart. I have done hundreds, bone in on a Weber Kettle and in a plain old oven (not the entire leg) and a few on the offset when I had one... The entire leg. It's a lot of meat. It will feed the family for a week.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Bill

FWIW This kind of thing is simply a "Leg of Pork" here and it is roasted, bone in or bone out depending on your preference.

I suppose that removes the confusion of what is, or is not a "ham". Having been a member of the site long enough, and having read well enough, and having paid considerable attention to regional terminology and customs on the great US of A, just calling it a "Leg of Pork" IMHO solves a few issues.

Bob... Yes, go buy one. If you don't feel like boning one out yourself it's worth it because removing the bone for a butcher is pretty easy and they truss it up pretty well.

You will get roast pork just like you've described you want and you'll be very happy. It has sufficient fat content for your purposes but can become a bit dry if you go overtemp. Recommending 165F as an absolute maximum IT and a good rest will give you what you want and you can can carve it up without having it fall apart. I have done hundreds, bone in on a Weber Kettle and in a plain old oven (not the entire leg) and a few on the offset when I had one... The entire leg. It's a lot of meat. It will feed the family for a week.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Bill
Bill, my issue is i want something like a whole ham but fresh. Im wondering if a boneless fresh ham is like a boneless cured ham or is it going to fall apart after i cook it. Im tired of asking this question. Noboduy seems to know the answer and just throws their two cents and gets mad when i tell them they are not helpful. Oh well.

Right. I thought I answered but perhaps wasn't clear enough. A boneless fresh RAW ham is not at all like a boneless cured ham. It is an uncured roast and it's not going to fall apart if you cook it unless you overcook it to buggery. The things you are looking for, you will get exactly with this boneless fresh ham.

This here is very much what I am talking about although this is bone in.

Here is the Costco Boned Out version which is exactly what you are talking about.

This has never seen a cure or brine and is NOT "ham" if people consider that a ham has to have been cured.

For the people that understand a ham is also a physical cut, meaning the entire back leg of the Pig, then this is a fresh or green ham.

In my days, I've hot smoked these to no more than 155F and they do not fall apart and are tender after resting. Do not pay any attention to FDA pork IT recommendations as otherwise it will be overdone and dry, but will still not fall apart.

Good luck with it. It is a bit of a bugger that the term "ham" is a confusing one. This in no way disparages anyone's opinions or advice here, as it is a constant source of confusion depending on each persons regional exposure to what this is.

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
Yes i have heard of Canadian Bacon. I have made it. It was not made from Garbage pork Loin.

20200902-235220.jpg

20200903-142444.jpg

20200903-193053.jpg

20200903-204629.jpg

20200906-220623.jpg

I think these folks disagree with you. But what do they know. But you be you and show the rest of us.

Canadian bacon is made from pork loin, which makes it much leaner than American side bacon, which is made only from the pork belly. This gives Canadian bacon a different texture that is closer to a thick slice of ham than cured bacon most people are familiar with.Oct 5, 2020

What Is Canadian Bacon? | Jones Dairy Farm

boneless pork loin
Canadian bacon comes from boneless pork loin and is typically cured, smoked and sliced into rounds. Canadian bacon is so named because it originated in Canada, but it is also known as back bacon or rashers. It's often served in classic eggs benedict and used to top Hawaiian-style pizza.Aug 3, 2023

What Is Canadian Bacon? | Cooking School - Food Network

foodnetwork

The bottom line: American bacon comes from fatty pork belly and is assertively seasoned with salt and sugar before being smoked. Canadian bacon is made from lean pork loin and is much milder. NORTH OF THE BORDER: Canadian bacon is leaner than American bacon.

What Is Canadian Bacon? | Cook's Country - America's Test Kitchen

americastestkitchen.com

Noboduy seems to know the answer and just throws their two cents and gets mad when i tell them they are not helpful. Oh well.

Or just don't respond if it's not the solution you are looking for. People honestly trying to help getting insulted. Gee I cant imagine why they would be upset let alone ever try to help again. My two cents.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Bill

Bill that's the most help ive got this entire thread. I have a home version cvap oven and i would probably shoot for 145F-150F for 24 hours. Ive found that works excellent for chuck roast, so i assume it would work just as well for boneless "leg of pork" I will have to cut it in half to fit and do in batches since 10lbs is the max that will fit in the oven.

Noboduy seems to know the answer and just throws their two cents and gets mad when i tell them they are not helpful. Oh well.

Or just don't respond if it's not the solution you are looking for. People honestly trying to help getting insulted. Gee I cant imagine why they would be upset let alone ever try to help again. My two cents.

I will admit, i do come off as a dick. But im not going to apologize for constructive criticism be it mild or harsh. I been on this site a lot longer then my join date ( no i haven't been banned "yet" ) but i can say, members had a lot thicker skin 15 years ago.

I think these folks disagree with you. But what do they know. But you be you and show the rest of us.

Canadian bacon is made from pork loin, which makes it much leaner than American side bacon, which is made only from the pork belly. This gives Canadian bacon a different texture that is closer to a thick slice of ham than cured bacon most people are familiar with.Oct 5, 2020

What Is Canadian Bacon? | Jones Dairy Farm

boneless pork loin
Canadian bacon comes from boneless pork loin and is typically cured, smoked and sliced into rounds. Canadian bacon is so named because it originated in Canada, but it is also known as back bacon or rashers. It's often served in classic eggs benedict and used to top Hawaiian-style pizza.Aug 3, 2023

What Is Canadian Bacon? | Cooking School - Food Network

foodnetwork

The bottom line: American bacon comes from fatty pork belly and is assertively seasoned with salt and sugar before being smoked. Canadian bacon is made from lean pork loin and is much milder. NORTH OF THE BORDER: Canadian bacon is leaner than American bacon.

What Is Canadian Bacon? | Cook's Country - America's Test Kitchen

americastestkitchen.com

OK Robert from Arkansas, you are the expert on Canadian Bacon. I Guess if you want to get technical, my version is a leaner version of Buckboard Bacon. But i will say i have bought Canadian bacon in the grocery store and there is no way it was made from the garbage pork loins that are sold in my area.

Its like trying to use eye round beef for roast beef sandwiches.

Maybe you guys get waygu pork loins? Is that why im wrong about garbage pork loins?

Last edited:
Jeky recipe

I use the same ecipe as for beef with a bit less soy sauce. Cut across rain & jeky will be supe tende.

Back