Lunch meats expensive

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Hey All,

Some sites I work there are no amenities like a microwave. Roast beef lunch meats kinda expensive here like $16 a lb. Ham is like $6. I was thinking of smoking some meats like beef and turkey and getting a $100 slicer. Any thoughts on what cut of beef roast to get? I heard top loin roast but I' am only seeing like 2 lbers at my store more like a steak than a roast. Oh and I own a Masterbuilt 560 so I can smoke my own meats

I just finished cleaning up about 13 pounds of $7/lb tenderloin. That would be great on a sandwich, you just need to watch for sales and not be too picky. Other than a little difficulty slicing the 2lbs on a meat slicer, how much would you like to make at a time? If you're not curing it, shelf life and taste of the last sandwich are going to be not so great. Pork loin, cured and smoked is awesome on a sandwich - and dirt cheap.

A dedicated slicer will pay for itself pretty quickly if you already have all of he smoking and vac packaging/ freezing equipment needed.

I'm really not trying to be rude, but why not PBJ or PBH?

Alot of precooked lunch meats have gotten away from using nitrates for health reasons, and it really isnt prefered that you let them go un-cooled like we could years ago. I think early in the week you would be fine, but by the time Thurs/Fri roll around, the lunch meat has been sitting in your fridge at home for 4 or 5 days, then letting it not stay cool while you are at work?

Or going through all the expense of cooking something on the weekend, slicing it, etc? If i felt real industrious mabye smoking a brisket on the weekend, chopping it, then freezing portions of it in the freezer and just taking buns.

Do you have an aldi nearby?

Their deli meats are fantastic and a good price!

Are they Boarshead? No, but nothing is, but they are better than most.

There's some really good advice here. In the last few weeks, I've had the same thoughts about lunch meats. I've been buying either turkey breasts or chicken breasts (whichever is cheaper). On the weekend, I smoke enough for the week. Then, I put them in 6 oz portions and in the freezer. My wife and I each make a 3 oz sandwich. It's been working out great, and I don't see ourselves getting tired of it anytime soon. To thaw, I just pull it out the night before and by morning it's perfectly thawed.

Good luck!

I don't eat fish especially bait lol

No aldis sadly

I have a hard inner lined bag cooler and I use 4 ice packs so keeping it cool isn't an issue I also work night so it helps.

Guess i would just have to find good sales on large roasts. It is a pain in the *** but food prices are getting outta hand and i need a healthy cheap alternative when i don't have a microwave or a way to heat an item.

I have an inkbird vaccum sealer so i would be looking to do 5 pound or so of eye or a flat maybe. Slicing putting in 1 lb portions and freezing

I'm gonna suggest an Arm roast. It's part of the chuck so it needs to be cooked to the 170 range. Slices thin and eats tender.

A while back I came across a killer deal on a hobart commercial slicer, I have since than started cutting my own lunch meat of various types. it is amazing how much per pound they get for the prepackaged things. as for the bet type of beef, it looks liek you have some solid answers so I am not going t comment

Sous vide… I buy eye of round, bottom round, sirloin roast. It comes out perfectly cooked through out, and very tender. Cool it down, then into the slicer.

Sous vide… I buy eye of round, bottom round, sirloin roast. It comes out perfectly cooked through out, and very tender. Cool it down, then into the slicer.

+1 on the sirloin roast, but its cheaper to buy Deli roast beef from RD, and your buying cooked weight, so no loss makes it an even better option.

Back