The *OFFICIAL* Crock Pot Thread

I have the pit barrel mod. Hanging hot dogs for inaugural cook.
Hooo-Leeeee Farking CHIT!:shock:

THAT is some outta the crock thinking right there!:yo:

I could see a lot of potential with that sort of rig right there. MAybe some sausage and the drippings could go down on something below...

These really are versatile little cookers. I mean, entire cookbooks are devoted to these units the way they come out of the box. I'm kinda curious what sort of mods people make. I've never seen a book about modified crock pot cookery,

So...let's get this thing going! We will be the first!

Who knows, maybe someday if you type crock-pot-mods in your browser it will take you to here!

What do you all think of this for a solution to the digital "low/high" settings?

F6HREYGGGPEU04B.MEDIUM.jpg

NEver mind. This one looks a lot more versatile.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqpJ-oJthSo"]How To Turn A Slow Cooker Into A Sous Vide - YouTube[/ame]

i looked around for one and couldn't find it, so i apologize if this is a duplicate thread.

Like many of you, i cook my ribs in a crock pot.:thumb:

My unit looks like this one.

photo%25288%2529.jpg

now, recently i saw someone using a modified crock pot like this...

img_7794.jpg

...and that got me to thinking...

I wonder what other sort of mods people make to their crock pots? And what sort of tips and advice is there for using crock pots, and cooking ribs or other bbq in crock pots.

Looking forward to the vast knowledge of the bbq brethren as i master my crock pot!:whoo:

someone get a rope!

These really are versatile little cookers. I mean, entire cookbooks are devoted to these units the way they come out of the box. I'm kinda curious what sort of mods people make. I've never seen a book about modified crock pot cookery,

So...let's get this thing going! We will be the first!

Who knows, maybe someday if you type crock-pot-mods in your browser it will take you to here!

For what you spent on your crockpots, you could build your own UDC and have enough money leftover for a freezer full of meat. :tsk:

Its a mod. Most crock pots have low and high. Fancy ones have a warm setting. I put a sharpie mark between low and high and then hold it in place with a binder clip and a clothespin. I think im going to go all out and install a rheostat in place of the 3 position switch. That way I can dial it in without having to upset my wife by using a unibit on it

I use these to control our Crockpot temperature
easy as .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-200-2...r-Thermostat-40-to-120-w-Sensor-/360661247706

we use ours for Sous Vide cooking as well.

Capture temp control.jpg

someone get a rope!
How do you use a rope in a crock pot exactly?:confused:

For what you spent on your crockpots, you could build your own UDC and have enough money leftover for a freezer full of meat. :tsk:
Actually, all of them were free. My main unit I received as a Christmas gift a couple years ago when someone heard my old one had a broken handle.:thumb: The other large unit was my mother in laws who passed away, and it is pretty much identical to my other unit. The two smaller dip size ones were part of some prize basket my wife came home with years ago.

Doesn't everyone get their crock pots for free?:twitch: I didn't realize you people spent so much money on crock pots.:becky:

I use these to control our Crockpot temperature
easy as .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-200-2...r-Thermostat-40-to-120-w-Sensor-/360661247706

we use ours for Sous Vide cooking as well.

View attachment 94439
Interesting. So as someone alluded to earlier, with the $20 crock pot, plus this $16 mod, you only have $36 in the unit and it is probably the most versatile cooker on the planet!:becky: Plus with the $14 saved over building one of those "other" cookers, you can get a freezer full of meat!:cool:

i installed a silicone gasket around the lid of my crockpot. now it is not as drafty and holds temperature much better... even in the rain.
Funny you should mention that. I actually do run my crock pot outside an awful lot. Seriously. My wife is allergic to most peppers, and making chili is pretty farking deadly to her. Most good crock pot recipes have peppers in them, and I also make a big batch of carmelized onions in the crock pot nice and simple like while I'm spending the day working on other things like using "other" BBQ cookers or moving big rocks around the yard and stuff.

Ive never had much trouble with rain, as the units are easily tucked in under the overhang of the house, or under a table or something.

But thanks for the advice!:thumb: How do you get it open?:confused:

Back