smoked pot roast question

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Sup All,

I got 5 lbs of really really nice Chuck from wildfork so I think I am gonna do a pot roast this week instead of ends. I usually crock pot my pot roasts but I wanna try smoking the chuck this time. So I am gonna do the carrots and potatoes in my crock pot as usual with pot roast seasoning and beef broth carrots potatoes and an onion. I' am gonna smoke my meat. Should I do anything different or just do like a poor mans brisket? Any red wine or just spg and some beef broth and butter on the wrap?

Smoked braised chuck is excellent.

It has been a while but I smoke it to around 140 or so, and then finish by braising in a dutch oven or a slow cooker. I'm more likely to use a slow cooker in summer, and a dutch oven in the oven in winter. An alternative is foiling or finishing in a covered pan. You'll want to save those juices.

When braising a chuck I like to seriously darken the outside by searing. And I mean right dark. That adds so much texture and flavor later. It also avoids any mushy texture. If you don't have a good firm dark crust after smoking, I would let it rest a bit (to lower temps, giving you more braise time), and then give it a good sear.

Cooking time will be greatly influenced by size and whether you cut it into chunks. When cooking a roast, I like to cut it into chunks so I can get more of that great char surface area. But with smoking, the challenge is finishing too early. So going smaller is not necessarily the way to go.

Thanks, I wanna try whole this time it's two 2.5 lb chucks. I think I' am gonna smoke then braise in basic butter and some broth. I might do the boat method. I'll post cook pics.

I like to smoke for a few hours and then treat it like my wife did her roasts. In an oval pan with Liptons dry onion soup mix and some water or broth. Cook in the oven for three hours ( which is way overdone) Rest and slice. Make gravy from the broth. :thumb:

Smoked chuck roast likes some sort of finishing method with some liquid added. You can wrap, use a Dutch oven, roaster, pressure cooker, etc. I like this combination of flavors.

sx1NTsk.jpg

h9bTWKR.jpg

P4MxcnI.jpg

Smoked chuck roast likes some sort of finishing method with some liquid added. You can wrap, use a Dutch oven, roaster, pressure cooker, etc. I like this combination of flavors.

sx1NTsk.jpg

h9bTWKR.jpg

P4MxcnI.jpg

Sounds about right. I have some foil pans I think I will throw em in one with some litpons, broth and some red wine not a buttload of fluid but like 2 cups one of each then foin and cook till fork tender

Sounds about right. I have some foil pans I think I will throw em in one with some litpons, broth and some red wine not a buttload of fluid but like 2 cups one of each then foin and cook till fork tender

đź‘Ťđź‘Ť Sounds like a plan.

I' am tempted to try the foil boat method again. I used it on a pork butt and it worked well. Still lookin at running the cook tonight or tomorrow night.

Back