***The Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread***

My first roto bird on the "bird barrel" wood fired rotisserie drum.

Looks killer! See yah & call yah 2 hung:

slathered with Melinda"s & rubbed with Weber Kicken Chicken:

PICT1256_zpswz8nzvp8.jpg

:becky:

Last edited:
First front door cook of the year

When it gets cold i park a grill a few feet from the front door. Its been warm so i haven't needed to do it.

This years first front door cook goes to the bird barrel rotisserie stick burner.

Heres to leaning out my front door in my sandals during a blizzard.

12 baby back ribs

We were expecting 45+ folks for the DIL going away party. She is leaving for Air National Guard boot camp, training etc. Besides 12 racks of BB, #10 wings, we did up macncheese, beans, spinach dip, sliced cheeses etc etc. I've never had so many folks in my little house and back yard at one time. I don't know the final total of folks. Things were just to busy and crowded to get final photos.
Anyway, if anyone is wondering if you can fit 12 racks in a UDS, I can tell you I could probably fit a total of 16 racks. Believe it or not, they cooked to tooth pick tender in 3 hrs at 250*. I was expecting a little bit longer of a cook due to the total meat, but nope. :twitch:

And a photo of the wings on the horizontal, no photo of them when done. Just to dang busy. The horizontal could probably hold 15-20 lbs of wings.

We were expecting 45+ folks for the DIL going away party. She is leaving for Air National Guard boot camp, training etc. Besides 12 racks of BB, #10 wings, we did up macncheese, beans, spinach dip, sliced cheeses etc etc. I've never had so many folks in my little house and back yard at one time. I don't know the final total of folks. Things were just to busy and crowded to get final photos.
Anyway, if anyone is wondering if you can fit 12 racks in a UDS, I can tell you I could probably fit a total of 16 racks. Believe it or not, they cooked to tooth pick tender in 3 hrs at 250*. I was expecting a little bit longer of a cook due to the total meat, but nope. :twitch:

And a photo of the wings on the horizontal, no photo of them when done. Just to dang busy. The horizontal could probably hold 15-20 lbs of wings.

Are you sure those ribs are as good as you could have done in one of those 30 gallon drums you can buy ready out of the box? :icon_smile_tongue:

Looks fantastic Tom! I was thinking if ever need be that I could get 18-20 racks on the 3 rod setup in the Big Poppa....but probably more. 6-8 racks per rod of BB seems to be a comfortable amount.

It's nice to be able to cook for large amounts in such small cookers!

I wish the DIL the best going into the service! So how many ended up showing for the party?

Ebijacks post shows why hanging can be a valuable tool for any cook. Thats gotta be the best ratio of food to cooker space of anything out there.

I dont know what's more impressive Tom.

That you got 12 racks on your drum or 45 people at your house.

Ebijacks post shows why hanging can be a valuable tool for any cook.

I agree. Now I'm not real high on hanging BUT it can come in handy. Hanging 53 lbs of birds on the drum sure came in handy for ThanksGiving, and cooking a crap load of quarters for a friends business open house.

Ebijacks post shows why hanging can be a valuable tool for any cook. Thats gotta be the best ratio of food to cooker space of anything out there.

Thanks guys. The wife wasn't sure I could fit that many in there. I was guessing but semi confident. I was surprised there was that much room to fit more.
I still don't know what the total was since the DIL invited more than what was on the list, and I don't know half of them. But you couldn't just walk thru the house, you had to excuse yourself constantly to get between folks to move anywhere (like a crowded bar). The cabana was also overloaded with folks out into the yard and garage till 1AM. Most of the food was blocked from folks standing in the kitchen and the laundry room , not enough room to put more chairs anywhere. It went well, but it was just too many people to be comfortable. The DIL got a lot to leave when she put her wedding video on, which most of these folks were at. :becky:
The ribs hanging in the drum photo look kind of burnt, but really were not, just my camera I guess, once removed they came out perfect.

Stick burning on a weber kettle rotisserie

Back when i first saw the wood fired rotisserie drum i mimicked it by splitting up splits into mini splits and burning them on one side.

While not quite the bird barrel it gets the job done

My mini splits

Piled on one side, preheated on the other

Done

Most will be surprised how much you can fit in a 55 gallon drum.

Back when i first saw the wood fired rotisserie drum i mimicked it by splitting up splits into mini splits and burning them on one side.

While not quite the bird barrel it gets the job done

My mini splits

Piled on one side, preheated on the other

Done

Thanks for adding this Steve, not many would try that in a kettle grill but you made it happen and it looks great!

We love Roadside Chicken & thought I'd give the recipe (http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken) a whirl on my beautiful CL Performer.

PICT1491_zpsef79fxgt.jpg

PICT1492_zpsocthr9bv.jpg

Nest time I'm going to do it using Smoke Ninja's mini split idea.
that chicken looks impressive Robert!

Finally got a rod for my weber rotisserie. Going to spin some grill fried chicken tonight and see how it turns out.

Finally got a rod for my weber rotisserie. Going to spin some grill fried chicken tonight and see how it turns out.
parts in a flat basket spun over a very high heat will turn out fried if you apply panko in addition to egg wash, flour etc... I've done it with just spraying olive oil and dipping in panko too.

I usually do flour>wash>flour at 450 for about 30-35 minutes on the warming rack in the weber and have great results. What temp do you recommend with the roti?

Back