IronSide CDR First Impression and First Cook Live Thread

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
Hi folks,

I recently decided to buy an IronSide Smoker from Pete after spending some time reviewing the design and speaking with him. It was exactly what I was looking for in terms of competition cooker and big cooks for home. I had previously owned an FEC-100 pellet cooker which I added a modified expanded metal grate to add wood-chunks. Pete designed his cooker to use real mini-wood splits in conjunction with the convenience of pellets. In fact, the cooker can be used with wood, charcoal or pellets alone. Super versatile, but my plan is to always cook with pellets and mini wood-splits.

So, while me and the family were on a quick summer vacation trip to the Smokey mountains my CDR arrived, and luckily my neighbor was gracious enough to receive it for me (might have something to do with promised BBQ in the future). I had set a spot in the garage for it so lift-gate to garage and wait!

Needless to say I was excited to get home and check this beauty out!

First impressions: This thing is built like a tank, and it is gorgeous. Super thick walls, very heavy steel. Great high-heat paint-job, and sexy powder coated heavy duty doors.

Moves great on hard surfaces, not so much on grass (used plywood to move it around to my back porch which worked like a champ). The casters are very heavy duty and turn well on hard surfaces. The thing probably weighs half a ton so not surprised when it dug into grass that it didn't move very easily, especially between my house and the neighbor's where there is a slope/ditch shape for drainage.

I love the rack position lay-out so I can adjust height easily depending on what I'm cooking. The hangers are an added bonus if I ever want to do sausage etc.

Below are some pictures. I have it set to 250 right now with pellets only, and it has almost gotten to set temp. I'm going to plan on cooking two pork shoulders, a 19lb brisket, 4 racks of spares, and some chicken wings. The big meats will be going on this evening some time.

I love the size of this thing for two full pans to fit on each rack as I like to cook in pans for easy cleanup and move to cambro etc.

I will post more pics/results/impressions as I cook. :-D

Lfr6wyjl.jpg

wUIUGOPl.jpg

VkW0p5il.jpg

8BboYjNl.jpg

t83Q2fDl.jpg

d6ECjigl.jpg

Man I love this smoker and everything about it. Congrats! Excited to see what you do with it.

Absolutely love love love what I see in this cooker! Look forward to seeing lots more :)

Love the wood with pellet assist so much I'm planning to add a pellet hopper to a upright vertical build I'm doing. Pellet, wood, and charcoal in one cooker!!!

First update:

Lighting stinks for some of the pics so bear with me.

Brisket and two shoulders on shelf below top and the trimmings down on the first shelf just cause... added a little more water to the pan via the fill valve, one mini split of peach and one mini split of hickory.

Came back quickly to temp from me leaving the door open for too long while adding meat and fiddling with the probes. Next time I will run the meat probes first. The fireboard Pete uses for the controller has six ports so I am set for monitoring!

RoktUPpl.jpg

f5wgvaVl.jpg

8wkL9L6l.jpg

Set the cooker to 220 for overnight. It held temps perfectly.

Kicked it to 275 and wrapped just now. The bark on the brisket looks great and the aroma is awesome. Definitely different than pure pellet cooking. Hoping that translated into a little more smoke flavor.

The butts have the mahogany color we all like.

60gH3t3l.jpg

bloHYI4l.jpg

Any idea how the temp varies top to bottom? Looking forward to hearing how you like the finished product. I've got a slugger on order.

Congrats, Jason!

Looks to be an incredible cooker, I’ve always been intrigued.

Thanks for sharing!

Any idea how the temp varies top to bottom? Looking forward to hearing how you like the finished product. I've got a slugger on order.

I haven't measured that yet, but from my observations so far it appears to be cooking very even top to bottom.

Final thoughts on first cook and overall impression:

It's cliche to say this, but I truly couldn't be happier. This cooker is exactly what I wanted in a smoker. The flavor of the meat that came off of it had a distinctly more smoky flavor than a pure pellet cooker even when using a smoke tube etc., but still mild enough not to overwhelm which is what I was after.

As you can see in the chart below from the fireboard it ran a little over 24 hours non-stop flawlessly quickly responding to my temp changes that ranged from 275 setpoint to 220 overnight to 300 at the end for the sausages to finish quickly. The cooker would ever slightly overshoot when mini splits were added and then quickly return to within a few degrees of setpoint. This kind of consistency is really needed for competition BBQ so that also made me happy.

I'm looking forward to some continued experimentations on higher-heat cooking as well as low and slow and various wood combinations.

Pete and Ironside hit a homerun for me. An expensive homerun, but quality doesn't come cheap!

5vkV04nl.jpg

JmRO0JOl.jpg

Back