(Grand) Pa's Chicken ~ Cooks Thread for the "Recreate a Childhood BBQ Memory!" Throwdown

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
My Grandpa was the barbecue mentor in the family and I have many wonderful memories of weekend cooks. One of his signature meats was chicken, usually quarters and his routine was to brine for a day, rest it for a day, and cook it on day 3. The rest was in the fridge to let the skin dry out. The seasoning was salt and pepper (there were not many BBQ rubs back then) and sometimes he would add some chili powder or garlic powder. He cooked it on the indirect side from the coals, and NEVER turned it. He was a self admitted Old Baster, and for chicken he used "Wish-Bone" Italian dressing. Get it... wish-bone and chicken. :biggrin1:

My first obstacle was not being able to locate any Falstaff. :twitch:
ZjBYhcS.jpg

Pressing along with some Miller Lite.... I mixed a brine with some Kosmo's Chicken Soak, Old Bay, salt, onion, garlic, lemon, orange and some dried chile petín. My Grandmother grew peppers next to the back porch and used them in all kinds of things.
6Quber6.jpg

21GIVp3.jpg

Here is the chicken, post brine and dry, ready for the pit. Cook time was about 100 minutes with low pit temps for the first hour, then ramping up to crisp the skin, and basting pretty much all the way.
G6ZnbPu.jpg

3y1Y4P1.jpg

G3yYAsX.jpg

Pa cooked by sizzle and feel, I took the internal to 180°+ at the joint.
HhCmhmv.jpg

For this TD, we made all the family favorites (which remain favorites to this day).... beans and cornbread, roasted herb and lemon potatoes, corn on the cob, a relish tray and iced tea. It was just like 1966.
cyXrZkv.jpg

Was all that work on the skin worth it? It was!
ejODeGI.jpg

You really embodied the "spirit" of this Throwdown, Wayne. Loved reading the description of how your Grandpa cooked the chicken. I think he'd be proud of you!

Bravo on all counts!

Thanks for the amazing story. Very cool to read and see how you have put your twist on it and kept it alive.

I've inherited a few cooking/baking items from family members and always feel a special connection when using them or following one of their recipes.

You really embodied the "spirit" of this Throwdown, Wayne. Loved reading the description of how your Grandpa cooked the chicken. I think he'd be proud of you!

Bravo on all counts!

It added to the fun factor, and the price is certainly right. :biggrin1: I almost made Cornell Chicken (Firehouse Chicken) because Pa cooked that too.... but called it State Fair chicken, I guess because the Baker's sold chicken at the NY State Fair, and it caught on in other states.

Thanks for the amazing story. Very cool to read and see how you have put your twist on it and kept it alive.

I've inherited a few cooking/baking items from family members and always feel a special connection when using them or following one of their recipes.

You are so right about special connections. This is my Grandmothers sauce recipe, I'm guessing this version was from the 60's because of the mention of 'oleo'. I'm not much of a sauce guy on chicken but we did break out some Head Country Original, which was a good fit.
cTLFAoD.jpg

I like everything about this post. You certainly took me back as well, in fact, I really wish it was like 1966 today. Times were simpler and life a little slower. Great looking meal!

Outstanding cooking there Wayne!

Sounds like your grandfather was a great cook.

I'll use "Outstanding" for a 3rd time in response.

The grub looks delicious, and I feel like I can almost smell the chicken cooking as I stand out by the grill, sipping suds with your grandfather in that photo.

Back