Hello All! First Post and a few questions!

Broedy

Name or Nickame
Brett
Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker but this is my first post. I've been reading a TON here and learning a lot, but am finally looking to upgrade some of my equipment and was hoping to get your input. I'll try to keep this short and sweet, but no promises :-D Quick background, majority of my grilling/smoking has been on a crappy gasser and a 22" basic Weber Kettle. Only got into low and slow cooks over the last two years, learning heat management on the kettle, primarily cooking ribs. After having some fun, I realized I wanted to up my game and start tackling some bigger and longer cooks (brisket, pork butt, etc.)

Here's what I considered, but ultimately ruled out:

Pellet Grill
Convenience seems amazing, but I'd say at least 50% of my enjoyment came as much from the cook itself as much as the result (maybe an indictment on my cooking, haha). Pellet grill takes that fun out of it for me.

Kamado
Funny enough, when I started exploring, I thought for sure this is where I'd end up. No question that they are awesome at a lot of things, and are super stable for temp control. But as I read more, and watched more videos, something nagged at me that it wasn't quite right. Primarily concerns about lighter smoke profile when smoking, and that versatility was something I was less likely to use (for example, we won't do pizzas).

Offset
Toughest omission. I love the idea of cooking on one, and eventually will have one, but here's the reality: I have 4 kids (I know - :crazy:) between 8 and 1. I also realized, after reading a bunch, that I probably wouldn't be happy with a COS. I did look into a better build, but with not having much time to give an offset the attention it needs (due to kids) I didn't think it was worth dropping a good chunk of change on a cooker I'd maybe get to use a handful of times a year. Those LSG offsets though...swoon.

This is what I (think) I've decided on.

Hunsaker
I fell in love with the drum. They seem a little more hands off, but not so much so that I still wouldn't enjoy managing the heat. I was between this and the PBC...price wise, I know it's more than the PBC, but I like the idea of being able to control temps and it seems that the vortex results in some pretty even cooking. There are some folks on here that have turned out some amazing food, and in the end, the design just makes sense to me.

Kettle
I'm going to upgrade to the Weber 26" (and eventually add the SnS). I love my 22", and it has served me really well for 15 years, but there are often times that I wish I had more cooking space. Also, I feel like I can get 90% of the way to a Kamado with the kettle at 1/5 the cost, especially since I'll primarily using it to cook steaks, sausages, or quicker chicken cooks.

Thanks for bearing with me folks, on to the questions that I hope I can your input on!

For you Hunsaker Owners
1) Did you add the 2nd Cooking grate? Why or why not? It's hard for me to wrap my head around how you'd use it.
2) I do want to get a hanging kit - would you recommend the full hanging kit, or the hybrid kit? Would I be able to safely hang a brisket on the hybrid?
3) This may be blasphemy, but does anyone ever cook without the vortex in place, to have the drippings hit the coals directly (closer to the PBC style)?

Question on the Kettle
This one is simple - am I crazy for just upgrading to a 26" kettle, and not replacing this with the Kamado? Why or why not?

Thank you again everyone! Have really loved learning from you all!

Last edited:
I’d get a Hunsaker with 2 grates or build my own UDS. I ran 3 grates in my DIY UDS - waterpan on bottom grate then 2 cooking grates. Got tired of pulling a grate of Hot meat off to get to 2nd grate so I went to a Cabinet charcoal smoker. Got tired of it EATING Up charcoal so I Insulated n skinned it.
Then add a stickburner. I’ll always have both a charcoal smoker AND a Stickburner.
If you are running out of room on a 22” Kettle a Kamado won’t Help you. So get a 26” Kettle along with the Hunsaker or UDS and the stickburner.

Welcome, it sound to me like you have made a couple good choices, you would have a good base arsenal with those 2.

Uds.

on Edit - I'd say yes on the 26 if you cook for alot of people.. otherwise NO.
it's not for a smoker either, back to the cheap homemade UDS.

I don't ever cook that much at a time, so I did not get a second rack for the hunsaker. You can fit quite a bit on the one grate. If I needed more space I'd probably opt for the hanging grate over the second rack. Not sure on hybrid versus all hang. Depends on what you would cook mostly.

As far as temp management I don't believe you will be doing a whole lot. Honestly, if you buy a quality cooker they aren't that much harder to control than a pellet grill. I have a pellet grill, a 270 sumo, and a hunsaker. Other than screwing around with the charcoal at the beginning, I don't touch any of them hardly at all once I set the temp.

UDS, 26" and eventually a stick burner. Have you checked out the RipTangle? Similar in concept to a UDS and just as sexy. They are built by a competition BBQ'r and seem to be doing good things on the circuit. Cost wise not that bad either.

Hi Broedy, Welcome.

Let me help you out:

the weber 22 kettle is THE BEST cooker Ive cooked on for small cooks like a single brisket or butt, or chicken. 10% humidity is a good target to shoot for as far as not drying your meat out. most cookers are far less than this. the smaller your cooker is, the more humid it is, and the closer you are to the coals, the more humid it is. Humidity is a good thing.

I have measured the kettle at 22-30% relative humidity at 250°- out of this world good. And that was without a water pan.

so, bigger is NOT better. keep your trusty 22" kettle- it turns out amazing Q

for bigger cooks, I haven't cooked on anything better than a UDS. I don't know what your finances are, but instead of buying a $800 uds you can build one , using a brand new unlined drum for $100. a dollar saved is a dollar earned. spend $200 on a heater meter and now you have a set and forget cooker that you can still control manually when you feel like it.

Oh, by the way the uds at 225(with no water pan) is able to maintain 10% relative humidity. not as good as the kettle(kettle is 1/3 the size of the drum) but still pretty darn OG :rockon:

For you Hunsaker Owners
1) Did you add the 2nd Cooking grate? Why or why not? It's hard for me to wrap my head around how you'd use it.
2) I do want to get a hanging kit - would you recommend the full hanging kit, or the hybrid kit? Would I be able to safely hang a brisket on the hybrid?
3) This may be blasphemy, but does anyone ever cook without the vortex in place, to have the drippings hit the coals directly (closer to the PBC style)?
I've owned my Hunsaker for right at a year and probably have a good 50+ cooks on it.

1) I have a 2nd grate and have only used 2 grates one time so if I had todo it all over again I would pass on the 2nd grate.

2) I have both the full and have had the hybrid for a month or so (wasn't available last year), I like having both, if I'm just hanging I prefer the full because I can hang directly over the Vortex plate, if I'm planning and hanging and also want to cook something on the grate like a side I use the Hybrid. I definitely like the flexibility of having both.

3) I have never cooked without the vortex plate, when I had a WSM I used to cook a lot with the water pan removed directly over the coals just like you would a PBC. I really like what comes out of the Drum so I find no reason to cook with it removed.

Question on the Kettle
This one is simple - am I crazy for just upgrading to a 26" kettle, and not replacing this with the Kamado? Why or why not?
I have a Performer and use an SnS, if I could only have one cooker I'd probably look at the 26" with an SnS or if I needed more room than that an Assassin Grill. I have done a couple of long cooks on the Performer with the SnS, but I prefer the smoke profile of what comes off the Hunsaker and I think it has todo with air flow/draft on the Hunsaker.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your inputs! I didn't mention it in my post, but I did consider a UDS. I ended up not putting that in the running because end of the day, I'm not the handiest person in the world and I'm more afraid of effing something up. Also, I'm sure it's not hard, but I haven't looked into sourcing a barrel, etc.

KevinJ and Mr. Tony, thanks for your input on the grates, that's exactly the info that I was looking for. Really appreciate it!

Back