The 1950s Barbecue Compendium - A Sauce Recipe Archive

shadeone

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
In honor of the biggest grilling and barbecuing weekend of the year, I am proud to officially announce the completion of a project that I have been working for almost a decade now. I have been collecting vintage cookbooks, mostly barbecue related, for a long time. I have been scanning and cataloging the barbecue sauce recipes from each of these 150+ cookbooks and compiling them all onto a website that you can now see here: https://shadeone.com/bbq/
Enjoy!

What a huge project to undertake! Thanks for making it available, I will definitely use it.

Wow, that is absolutely fabulous. Thank you so much for doing this and sharing! Some of those book covers I remember at my grandmother's house when I was little. That was quite an era. So let's get to the point: which one is the best?

This is amazing. This is very appreciative. I always look for bbq books when I go to garage sales and I have 2 of those books myself. Great job and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments guys!

My favorite so far is from the 1956 “Big Boy Barbecue Book”. Possibly the most mass produced barbecue booklet out there.
Lots of ingredients that go after all parts of your tastebuds. I used PBR for the beer since that was probably the best selling beer in 1956 aside from Schlitz (which I couldn't find). Also most beer cans were 12ozs back then so measure appropriately. I halved the recipe and it came out to a perfect 4 pint jars full. I used Hunts ketchup because Heinz has changed way too much over the years. Same with the A1 steak sauce... Heinz 57 drastically changed in 1985. I also used garlic powder instead of fresh just for consistency sake. The sauce comes out kinda thin but this isn't supposed to be a Kansas City style thick sauce for dipping, it's more of a basting sauce.

Nice
Thanks
One request. How about loosing the section of blue font. My aging eyes can't read it.

I love this project and effort. Thanks for sharing!

I recently picked up a 1958 Bantam paperback at a garage sale - The Art of Barbecue and Outdoor Cooking, for ten cents. You have it in your collection. I love the old color film photos of grills and food. But this small book has a countless great recipes - for marinades, sauces, glazes, relishes and dishes. It is just small paperback but it really is a powerhouse of good stuff.

I was surprised at how much emphasis there is on the spit, aka rotisseries. And kebobs. So many kebob dishes.

Also, leaving meat at room temperature. Like Short Ribs In Rum, where the meat is marinaded at room temp for four hours.

Bookmarked. A great resource and much appreciation for your efforts in providing this. You could possibly stick around on this forum and show us what you do with all this.

I'd love to see what you do on a BBQ / Smoker / Grill of your choice!

Cheers!

Bill

Thanks for the comments guys!

My favorite so far is from the 1956 “Big Boy Barbecue Book”. Possibly the most mass produced barbecue booklet out there.
Lots of ingredients that go after all parts of your tastebuds. I used PBR for the beer since that was probably the best selling beer in 1956 aside from Schlitz (which I couldn't find). Also most beer cans were 12ozs back then so measure appropriately. I halved the recipe and it came out to a perfect 4 pint jars full. I used Hunts ketchup because Heinz has changed way too much over the years. Same with the A1 steak sauce... Heinz 57 drastically changed in 1985. I also used garlic powder instead of fresh just for consistency sake. The sauce comes out kinda thin but this isn't supposed to be a Kansas City style thick sauce for dipping, it's more of a basting sauce.

I was scratching my head about the chili sauce and wondering what that would've been half a century ago. Thanks for posting the picture. I see the Heinz chili sauce came out in 1895. I don't recall ever seeing it. It's interesting there is actually no chili in their chili sauce. I expect we can sue them for false advertising. :roll:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/isla...roduction of its,peppers in Heinz Chili Sauce.

Back