Two Lamb Marinade Recipes

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yo to All, During a discussion on the Woodpile page, I mentioned to Gore about a couple of lamb marinade recipes that I have used over the years. I told him I would post them on the main page as this page gets the most traffic. Both of these recipes have been copied and pasted from my files so the font may appear different. The first recipe is one I use for lamb as well as venison. It works really well as an injection recipe that I use on whole deer hindquarters back in days when I had plenty of venison on hand to cook. It works good on smaller cuts as well.

The second recipe listed was actually the first recipe I used at contests and it works good too. Both of these recipes have done well for us in contests that featured lamb as a category. Since lamb is seldomly seen as a competition category, I will share these "secret" recipes.

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Notes and Instructions: [/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here an injection recipe I use for venison. I will also mention that this works good as lamb marinade. We won several lamb awards at the Mo State Fair. If I am using this as an injection, I omit the 1-1/2 cups of oil and prepare the items the day before using. This allows the flavors to meld. Make sure to strain the liquid to remove the solids that might clog the injector needle.[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From a thin paperback booklet, called, "The Barbecue & Smoker Cookbook, from the Kitchens of Southern Living"
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Magnificent Marinade:
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup red wine vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T. dry mustard
1 T. coarsely ground pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]_______________________________________________________________________
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dad's Lamb Marinade[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Comments: This is the marinade recipe that won us first place in lamb at the American Royal BBQ contest back in 1989. We won a few more ribbons in the category after that fateful ribbon. We won many plaques at the State Fair with this recipe too. I am not sure who to credit the recipe to as Dad said he got it from a cookbook that was written during the 1950s.[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]

4 Tbsp Minced onion
2 Tbsp Ground caraway seed
4 Tbsp Turmeric
4 Tbsp Lemon juice
4 Slices Fresh ginger, minced
1 Cup Brown sugar
1/2 Cup Soy sauce

4 Cloves of Garlic Crushed

1 Cup Coconut Milk --- See recipe below:

Coconut Milk: One part finely grated coconut with two parts boiling water. Let stand for 30 minutes. Stir well. Squeeze through a cloth to extract milk.

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Notes: [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Look at the written line above. This recipe is so old, coffee filters were not used in our family's household as Mr Coffee had not yet been born. Maybe Dad was referring to cheese cloth when he wrote "cloth". At that time, good coconut milk was not readily available and that is why we went through the hassle of making the fresh coconut milk. Marinate the lamb for two to six hours before grilling, using an indirect fire. You can grill the roast at the end directly over the coals at the end of the cooking time to give it a good crust. Medium rare temperature is 135F. This marinade is very pungent and it works! [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I will also add that this marinade recipe was used to win our very first award back in 1987 at the Missouri State Fair contest in the chevon category. For the uniformed, chevon is defined as a yearling goat. The teams that cooked this category we given ten loin medallions about the diameter of a silver dollar to cook and submit to the judges. I am really showing my age now, when was the last time you saw a silver dollar?[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There you go, Gore. Thanks for giving me the gumption to post this information. Been meaning to post this for quite sometime.[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beers,[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Juggy[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BTW, I have tried editing the above to make the font size consistent but I did not have much success.[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]____________________________________________________________[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Thanks Juggy! That first Magnificent Marinade is very similar to one my mom used to make some 50 years ago (ginger replacing parsley). It has been modified several times over the years (red wine instead of vinegar, for instance, and cut back on the oil, even to nothing sometimes). She always used it on sirloin and we've used it on many different meats. It is still our go-to marinade! I wonder if she got it from the same source.

I'm interested to try your championship recipe, next time I run across a chevron I can purchase for a silver dollar.

Last edited:
Thanks Juggy! That first Magnificent Marinade is very similar to one my mom used to make some 50 years ago. It has been modified several times over the years (red wine instead of vinegar, for instance, and cut back on the oil, even to nothing sometimes). She always used it on sirloin and we've used it on many different meats. It is still our go-to marinade! I wonder if she got it from the same source.

I'm interested to try your championship recipe, next time I run across a chevron I can purchase for a silver dollar.

Gore, The magnificent recipe does work good on other meats. I will have to research on when that book was first published.
That last line you wrote is probably the best laugh I will have all day. I am not sure as to where I could even locate chevon in my area. I guess one of the specialty meat markets in the KC area might sell it. I bet it would be a high dollar item. If I find a place that sells chevon, I may take a genuine silver dollar with me and try to barter with that. I will tell them Gore sent me.

When we used that marinade at the 1989 AR, I had brought the prepared coconut milk and the rest of the ingredients that were not yet mixed with the milk. I had forgotten to take the recipe with me. I told the team next to us that I had to leave the contest site to go look for a pay phone to call my dad and get the recipe. The neighbor said don't bother, I have a phone in my car. I thought he was feeding me fish as car phones were very uncommon at the time. This was at least a decade before cell phones became the rage. It was the only time in my life I ever used a car phone. I guess the cell phones killed car phones before they killed the pay phones too. I haven't seen a pay phone in years.

Last edited:
Interesting recipes. Soy sauce?

Have never marinaded lamb. Like the way it tastes with just dry seasonings.

BTW, I have tried editing the above to make the font size consistent but I did not have much success.....

Juggy, if you copy and paste into WordPad and then copy and paste that back into the dialog box that should wipe all the formatting and give you one font style and size.

Also, you compose an epic tale sometimes you loose it in the dialog box because of a timeout but if you compose in WordPad and copy into the dialog box it won't happen.

Thank Joe! I will try that next time I copy and paste something. I need to take a class at the college on basic computer stuff and learn some skills. Typing, copying and pasting are about the only computer skills I have. I do have a good vocabulary that helps find things on search engines. Other than that, I am computer illegitimate...............

Interesting recipes. Soy sauce?

Have never marinaded lamb. Like the way it tastes with just dry seasonings.

Hey Erik, I also like lamb that is just seasoned with rub. Except for the venison version of the first marinade which is used as an injection, the two marinades I posted were mainly for competition purposes. The AR dropped the lamb category back in the mid '90s. The reason given by the AR for dropping that category was due to complaints from a lot of judges who said they did not like the taste of lamb.

The MO State Fair competition did their judging system differently. Each judging table was assembled right before a category was to be judged. The judges at the tables did not sit together for every category like the KCBS system does. The fair officials would ask prospective judges if they liked the taste of the category they were to judge so that they would give a more honest evaluation of the meat in front of them. If you don't like something, you can give an honest opinion on appearance and tenderness. If you do not like the taste of a certain meat, how can you give an valid evaluation on taste?

At one time, the fair had these meat categories for the competitors to cook: Rabbit, Lamb, Chevon, Pork Ribs, Pork (any cut excluding ribs), Chicken and Turkey. There was no beef category. Contestants were allowed to enter in only three categories and they chose which one they wanted to cook. The Grand Champion was awarded to the contestant who had the most finishes in the top five of their respective entries. The rabbit and chevon were provided by the fair. The rest of the categories were supplied by the contestant. That contest has now evolved to a tailgating contest with the categories being hamburger, chicken wings, and brats.

BTW, I think the soy sauce in the recipe gives the marinade a hint of salt. I have a few other marinade recipes that use soy sauce.

Back