Thank you FWISMOKER!

I've had the same splitter from HF for about 3 years and I couldn't be happier. Especially when it came to splitting the hickory ~ ugh!

How many times do you have to crank that thing until the wood splits? I've been torn between this one for ~$120 and an electric one at Home Depot that's about $320.

not many....remember u pay $102ish after tax with the 20% off coupon....i just crank both rods at the same time until only the power side goes and then resume to both once the split starts...its very quick. i wouldnt spend $220(plus tax) more for an electric one

How many times do you have to crank that thing until the wood splits? I've been torn between this one for ~$120 and an electric one at Home Depot that's about $320.
That electric is 5 ton and the manual hydraulic is 10. If you don't have to do much splitting and just need one for home use then you can't go wrong that's for sure.

I have a 5 ton from Tractor supply I got for $150 on a black Friday sale

the thing rocks. I love it. There hasn't been anything it can split

One thing is it has a short electric cord and you have to plug it directly into the wall. no extension cords. So you need an outlet near where you are going to use it.

I use it at my cabin to split the wood that goes in my wood burner

If you're considering an electric one Harbor Freight has a 5ton one for $289 list.

Also, they are having a one day only sale on Mother's Day. 25% off both in store and online. Coupon code is on the home page. (# 10408701)

If you're considering an electric one Harbor Freight has a 5ton one for $289 list.

Also, they are having a one day only sale on Mother's Day. 25% off both in store and online. Coupon code is on the home page. (# 10408701)

Yep! thanks, was just going to post this as I saw it and printed. Boy, My wife is going to be so excited when I show up with a log splitter for Mothers Day. :wink:

Don't forget, today is Log Splitter for Mama Day! Just ordered my $90 10 ton Hydraulic Log Splitter. Checked with the local store to see if they had them in stock. Computer said yes, but sales associate checked and they had none so I had to order it online, which kinda sucks because the shipping chewed up most of the savings. YMMV.

I have a 5 ton from Tractor supply I got for $150 on a black Friday sale

the thing rocks. I love it. There hasn't been anything it can split

One thing is it has a short electric cord and you have to plug it directly into the wall. no extension cords. So you need an outlet near where you are going to use it.

I use it at my cabin to split the wood that goes in my wood burner

you can use a cord it just has to be heavy duty enough for the job. The amp rating of the cord needs to be higher than the tool. We run air compressors with 15 an 20 amp cords with no problems. They are not your average cords and expensive

Splitter Update

Hi All My Harbor Freight now has the splitter for $94.99,but You can't use the the 20% off coupon.
Question for those of you that have one. My firewood is 21-22" in lenght, so it be too long for this splitter,Would it be possible to put the lenght across the splitter and have it cut in half? Thickness bout 3-5".
Thanks Dan

Hi All My Harbor Freight now has the splitter for $94.99,but You can't use the the 20% off coupon.
Question for those of you that have one. My firewood is 21-22" in lenght, so it be too long for this splitter,Would it be possible to put the lenght across the splitter and have it cut in half? Thickness bout 3-5".
Thanks Dan
Cut those suckers in half with whatever kind of saw you have...chop,hand, reciprocating, chain, lopper whatever....then split away

Chop

Hi That is the problem I have no saws that will cut them in half.. They are rock hard. Tried to cut them with my neibors chain saw, could cut only the cherry that I had, the oak forget about it. I'm looking for smoking wood that is under the 18" or smaller
DanB

Back