Texas Ruined Me.

Glad to know it's not just regional. Cooking in KCBS contests and not placing well made me question what I was feeding the judges. I placed a few times, but could never sauce a brisket. I finally came to the realization that competition bbq really was a hobby and even high places could not pay the expenses. I now just cook at home and a few local contests with my Texas roots and have more fun and taste to my liking. Long story short, I got to the point I wouldn't even eat my own bbq. I am again..like I need it.

Funny thing is, being from the Ca central coast I grew up on tri tip. Sauce on tri tip was unheard of. Where did I go astray?

And don't forget our Craigslist ads are bigger too. Just saw a $20,000 smoker ad out of Waller TX. Only 600 miles away from me, dang it.

I too have never had Texas BBQ but I like the flavor of the meat to shine through. I do like BBQ Sauce however, I use it as salad dressing on baked potatoes and to doctor up beans.

I agree with previous comments. It's KISS for me and there's nothing simpler than S&P. I've messed around with a few variations of S&P rubs and sauces on the side. So far, I've concluded that meat, heat and smoke are the essentials, a simple S&P rub greatly enhances the bark and sauce is optional and may clash.

S&P only or add some onion and/or garlic is where I've been for several years. I still stray occassionally but always come back to the basics.
Sauce is normally offered as a side option if at all.
I forewarn any guests and tell them to bring their favorite sauce if they want. Most only bring it once though.

I use rubs that are not only salt and pepper, but there is always a salt and pepper base and depending on how much salt is in the additional rub determines how sparingly I'll use it. I find myself searching for low salt rubs since the meat doesn't need more of it.

Last edited:
Like some of the others, I never tasted texas BBQ, but I am glad to see that I am not the only one that is not too keen on sauces.

I will, however, use garlic and chili in most rubs as I am just addicted to that stuff

Back