Sunday Funday

Sako .... how long did you SV the steaks ? I have gone 6-8 hrs for a tritip as I feel that's about the time it takes to make it more tender and usually no more than 2 hrs for a nice steak .... but I'm here to learn .... Killer cook ... how do you stay so trim with all that great food ?

Insanely good looking food and you may have just altered my life with hatch chimichurri

Sako .... how long did you SV the steaks ? I have gone 6-8 hrs for a tritip as I feel that's about the time it takes to make it more tender and usually no more than 2 hrs for a nice steak .... but I'm here to learn .... Killer cook ... how do you stay so trim with all that great food ?

Thanks Mike!!

I don't think I've ever gone that long in sous vide-ing anything. I put the steak and tri tip in the bath a total of 2.5 hours. I went 129* for the first hour and half and bumped it to 135* the last hour. Sear and serve.

I have to have vegetables, salads or slaw or something fresh on the side to cut down all the fat. Heck, even some type of acid. Pickled anything also cuts through all the fat and cleanses your palate so you're not overwhelmed after a meal. I like to feel light after a meal and I don't care how good the food is. Well, except the holidays. :laugh: One major factor is that I very rarely buy frozen, canned, boxed, processed foods. I try to do everything from scratch as much as I can with fresh ingredients and that is tremendously helpful.

I hate to do a steak and mashed or baked potatoes overloaded with sour cream, butter an bacon then chased down by a six pack for example. I've learned to slice the steak into pieces and have some and not overeat because there is still a bunch left. Leftovers make great lunch or breakfast the next day. Most of the time food also goes to the neighbors or gets bagged up to go with guests so that helps as well.

Finally, I have cut down on beer significantly and alcohol in general tends to make you eat more. Especially late at night. I definitely can do better and get slimmer but my work schedule is usually long so I can't just have dinner by 6pm and be done with it. I usually eat dinner 8-9 and sometimes later but that's because of my schedule. Down the line if I manage to eat dinner early I'll be fantastic.

Oh and I stay away from sugar like desserts, soda etc etc. I hate cake for example. I don't even eat my bday cake and only a piece off of a small piece. Only once in a while like the eclairs in this post.

Last edited:
Insanely good looking food and you may have just altered my life with hatch chimichurri

Good stuff! I usually to "traditional" chimichurri but had a bunch of Hatch chiles I roasted last year in the freezer so :idea: Put it through my blender and done. Excellent stuff and won't be the last I do it.

Yow! I need a smoke after that! :bounce:
Excellent work all around, Sako! :thumb:

That was an absolute Funday to be on the receiving end of all of that goodness! I have even thought that eclairs would be fun to try, but I have been intimidated because I have no idea about any of the process. You just inspired me to give it a shot soon. A great day indeed, Sako!

Back