Smoked Tamale Tip

Smoked&Baked

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Smoked&Baked
It's likely been done before but my Google-fu couldn't find it so, the other day I thought of, tested, and learned: you can cold smoke masa!

So there's maybe a tip to those of you I've learned some from over the years lol. Smoke your proteins and smoke your masa - twice smoked tamales.

Highly recommend you test a few first, I've learned masa takes on smoke easily and when I first tried the masa after cold smoking it I thought I had way over smoked it, however after adding the meat sauce with all the peppers in it, steaming them, and later smothering with salsa it was perfectly well balanced with the smoke/tamale/salsa all adding up to goodness.

8XqYCWy.jpg

Feliz Navidad

Sounds Great. Any Pics of the finished product

Thanks :) Here's a pic at the start of the tamalada with the smoked masa and one of the bowls of chicken filling. The masa was used for all the proteins but we used non-smoked masa for the sweet tamales:

G6aT0tN.jpg

As these tamales are for family and friends they are just eating tamales, not pretty things for sale, tied up in a bows like I see online lol so I didn't take any pics (I'm saying mine are ugly lol) but here's one I just pulled out of the fridge:

druhLRn.jpg

Yesterday to warm a couple up for lunch I grilled them over a live fire and they looked so good with the char on the husks! I wish I had brought my phone out - next time I will. The smell though of twice smoked, then grilled tamales, is really incredible (imho of course)

I don't know how to edit my original post so I'll just add here: after smoking the masa we added some more broth and then remixed it al, both to add the moisture needed after cold smoking but also to distribute/even out the smoke through the dough.

Flattening them would increase surface area and thus smoke flavor.

I smoke tamales whole but I like the idea of smoked masa. Thank for the post!

Back