Unforgettable Beef: Locally Sourced American Wagyu Tri-Tip “Filet”

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
We recently heard about a new butcher that opened about 12 miles away from us(The Meet Chop in Hendersonville TN) that specializes in American Wagyu beef. The Missus did a short recon trip and declared it legit, so we took a trip together to see what we might bring home.

NlRpvgv.jpg

This 3.5 lb Tri-Tip came home with us, along with a few other goodies. It had a nice ¼ inch fat cap, which is how they used to cut them in CA before Tri-Tip became popular:

yaH1wkx.jpg

UgTSyaU.jpg

Here it is out of the package:

pOWGbi0.jpg

I really didn’t want to cook the whole thing since there were only 3 of us for dinner, so I separated the long “point” from the “flat”, which was shaped much like a whole beef tenderloin. I then cut the “filet” in half, and this is how it looked on the inside:

CpplKMN.jpg

All that marbling got me REALLY excited!

I seasoned the meat with Lawry’s as the base, then some homemade coffee rub and seasoned pepper.

I cooked the two pieces indirect, using briquettes and a few small pieces of oak to give it the signature Santa Maria flavor.

L2xvqhf.jpg

Here’s the meat after I carved it:

gE0cDdv.jpg

Plated with some homemade crispy pan taters:

QTiFXAJ.jpg

The meat was filet-tender, and very rich and buttery. I haven’t had beef this good in a long time, and am looking forward to finishing the rest of this Tri-Tip. Probably will head back soon and pick up a pallet of those Tri-Tips and then stop at Sam's to pick up a dedicated chest freezer to put them in. :becky:

Thanks fer lookin’!

Miss me some Moose tri tip cooks. Looks spectacular Richard! Delicious cut of beef and the price is insanely right.

My Fareway has Choice tri-tip for $6.99, 10lb tube of 85/15 $1.99lb, 7-9lb pork loin $1.99.
I have three gift cards!!!
Ed

I bought three nice looking tri tip at a local processor I believe $15 each. Nice fat cap. Honestly I tri :)) not to buy those without.
What does Wagyu tri tip cost per pound?

I bought three nice looking tri tip at a local processor I believe $15 each. Nice fat cap. Honestly I tri :)) not to buy those without.
What does Wagyu tri tip cost per pound?

Adams, the Tri-Tip I purchased was $13.79 per lb. Creekstone Farms sells Prime Tri-Tips for $115 for 3 roasts that weigh roughly 1.5 lbs each, which would be about $25 per lb. While the CF product is very good, it doesn't come anywhere close to the American Wagyu I had, which was USDA Choice, BTW.

Adams, the Tri-Tip I purchased was $13.79 per lb. Creekstone Farms sells Prime Tri-Tips for $115 for 3 roasts that weigh roughly 1.5 lbs each, which would be about $25 per lb. While the CF product is very good, it doesn't come anywhere close to the American Wagyu I had, which was USDA Choice, BTW.

I'd hit that place frequently. Looks grand

That looks amazing! I wish I had a chop shop like that around here

Place is legit. Watch out for the shorter stockier guy, though. He will talk your ear off. The taller leaner guy is super easy to deal with. I've been a handful of times since they opened.

Looks good, but $13.79/lb is pretty steep. I usually pay $6.99/lb for choice tri-tip, but i expect some chew like i would expect with sirloin. So much better cuts in that price range. It does looks really good though, just not sure i would invest in a pallet at that price.

Back