THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seadad9903

Full Fledged Farker
Got some thick cut chops at a butcher shop, and smoked 'em up for Sunday dinner with home made applesauce and smoked dressing.

The chops were brined for a little over 24 hours in a mix of apple cider vinegar, honey, s & p, marsala cooking wine and a dash of chipotle. All the chops were 1.5"-2" thick, the boneless were for the family and the bone in were for me.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Loaded up the mini-WSM about half way with lump and a few chunks of apple wood, then lit it with half a chimney of lump charcoal. While the mini-WSM was getting to temp the dressing was prepped. I would have used 2 things of Stove Top, but the only other one I had was cornbread, and The Woman doesn't like cornbread dressing :crazy:. So, in comes the off brand chicken :tsk:.

Anyway, 2 packages made following the directions, and 2 medium MacIntosh apples cut up and mixed in.

main.php
main.php

The chops.......

I left half plain, and heavily dusted the other half with 3 Eyz BBQ rub

main.php

In the mini.............

Temps started around 300 then slowly dipped down to around 225 once everything was put in. Finally settled in at 260-ish for the rest of the cook. The bone-in chops went on the bottom grate on top of the dressing. The fatties are a nekkid JD maple, and a regular JD in the 3 Eyz rub.

main.php

About halfway through....

main.php

Pulled when the chops hit 140 IT, took about an hour and a half. The dressing and the fatties went on about an hour before the chops.

main.php

Close up pron!

main.php

main.php

On the plate...........

The brownish blob is the home made applesauce The Woman made. Awsome! Sorry this is the only plate shot, the family was waiting for me to get into the dining room. It almost caused a mutiny.

main.php

All in all, it was the best chops I had done. Next time I'll use a little less rub, but the brine and brine time was fine. The brine was tangy, but was very balanced by the honey.

The dressing was phenominal. The apples and the pork cooking on top gave it a nice little bit of tanginess that matched the chops, and it had a nice smokiness from being in the mini.

thanks for looking

Back