Subway's McRib, the BBQ Pork Sub

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
I'm not sure if this is a new items on Subway's menu, but I just saw it and decided to try it out. I got a foot long and had 1/2 of it for dinner and then the other half for lunch the next day.
llNzNCvl.jpg
mpg1RJEl.jpg

I got mine by using the drive though and didn't see it being made. Basically, it's some McRib patties heated in the microwave and then placed on the sub and it looks like some BBQ sauce is then placed over the meat. I had them put extra onions on it and not put the lettuce that normally comes with it. Pickles are also standard for this sandwich.

The Subway I got the sandwich from is on my way home, but it's about 20 to 25 minutes away depending on traffic. By the time I got home, the sandwich was cold. I took a few bites and decided that it needed to be eaten hot. So I popped it in the microwave for a quick heat up and then proceeded to finish my dinner. Here's what I decided. YMMV.

I got mine on a wheat bun so I'm not going to compare the bread of the two sandwiches other than to say that the McRib bread is firmer than what you will get from Subway.

The meat is the same consistency as the meat of the McRib and the flavor seemed to be similar if not the same. Since no McDonalds near me is currently serving the McRib, I have to go on my memory. No advantage here.

The pickles are regular Subway pickles and nothing special. But so are the McDonalds pickles. Again, no advantage here.

The onions are a lot thinner than what you find on the McRib, as I was expecting, so I did get extra on the sandwich to try to make up the difference. It didn't. Something about the thickness of the McRib onion compared to the thinness of the Subway's makes the McRib a better sandwich. The onions on the McRib are also more flavorful than the subway onions. Advantage McRib.

The BBQ sauce is definitely different than what i was expecting. It's the standard thick Kansas style sauce with a sweetness somewhere between SBR and Kraft, but closer to the Kraft level. I'd say the sweetness is on par with what you find on the McRib. What surprised me was there is a little heat in it. Somewhere between cayenne pepper and a jalapeno. I didn't mind the heat but both sauces are close enough in my mind to be called the same, I'm going to say no advantage to either restaurant.

All in all, I'd say that they are very similar in taste and texture with the main difference being that the onions of the McRib are more flavorful. So if you like a firmer bun and more onion flavor, the McRib will be more to your liking. If you like a softer bun and just want the nice crunch of the onions, then the Subway sandwich will be more of what you like. Personally, I do feel that the McRib is the better sandwich.

On a scale of 1 to 10, here's what I think of Subway's, McDonald's, and a home made version:

Subway - 6
McRib - 7
Home made - 10

I have had it a number of times since it was released a month or two ago. The key is to not expect it to taste like a McRib or homemade and to utilize the extras. Toast the bun, do light BBQ sauce, add light mayo, add banana peppers and jalapenos, add provolone and tomatoes. Funny thing is I have three on order to pickup at 1040 for lunch for the family. Mine still has it listed for $5, and since they are doing a buy 2 get one free special I got all three for $10. Sold!

Back