Nashville Hot Chicken

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Decided to do another KFC cook. Although the crust never got as crispy as I wanted.

Assemble the ingredients.

mKykgBvh.jpg

Onto the Big Joe, never really got it over about 375, probably what the problem was.

eVIG1m0h.jpg

V28q4x6h.jpg

Toasted butter bun, half sour pickles & onions. HOLY Mary mother of God was that SPICY!

VueRXush.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Looks good.
Is there a particular spice that makes it Nashville hot chicken?
I've been to a couple of Nashville hot chicken joints, and man, it can really be spicy.

Looks good.
I've been to a couple of Nashville hot chicken joints, and man, it can really be spicy.
Chile powder, cayenne, etc. I also used a Nashville chicken seasoning. Normally the spices are added to some of the oil from deep frying and the chicken tossed in that, but since I didn't deep fry.

Looks good.

Nashville Hot Chicken’s defining element is the pepper/spice blend that is mixed with the fry oil that the finished piece of fried chicken is dipped in. The idea is that since it is predominantly fry oil the fried chicken crust won’t get soggy like it would with another sauce.

There isn’t a specific pepper for Nashville Hot Chicken, but the medium ones are likely cayenne based and ghost and reaper are ubiquitous for the nuclear variants. I believe most places use the same base for all their spice levels, but just keep adding more and hotter peppers to the mix as you move up to whatever their hottest level is.

Back