Stick burners

Unfortunately today's world is moving too fast and folks don't stop and smell the roses,... or in this case the wood smoke as much as they should. We now have phones that could probably launch a nuke with the right app, cars that can parallel park themselves and a host of other "modern technological advances" that have quite frankly taken a lot of the fun little things out of life.
I enjoy having a good meal and talking to my family as we are gathered around the dinner table but these days I'm about the only one in the house that isn't texting, tweeting or watching a streaming movie on an Ipad. I enjoy driving (and working on) a car but when I pop the hood I don't even see an engine due to the computerized crap covering it along with all the wires and sensors that go along with it and I don't need a computer to park my vehicle for me,... heck we're almost to the point of not needing a driver at all with some of the systems that are being developed in the auto/motive industry and that will one day be stock in every car or truck.
Everything in our lives today are made push button easy but in many ways more complicated at the same time and for the sake of some sort of convenience we have given ourselves MORE stress and LESS enjoyment in our lives. One day there'll be an app for starting and maintaining a stick burner too I suppose or a pit that will just run itself and take away the need for a pit master but I hope I'm dead first.
My suggestion to the OP is to slow down and learn to enjoy the "art" of BBQ. Go and get the cheapest, leakiest, most difficult to operate stick burner you can find at one of the box stores, modify it if you need to and learn how to make good BBQ with it. When that pit is second nature to you then get with Paul at Shirley or Chris at LSG and have a quality pit made that will be easier to use but will still require a human being to operate it. During that learning process you'll find an enjoyment that you'll never get from anything else because at the end of a cook the finished product will reflect the work, skill and patience that YOU put into it.
Once you get the rewarding feeling of seeing family and friends enjoying the food that you spent all day cooking you'll realize that you've grown to love the time and work that you put into your cooks and you'll never want to give up your stick burner, nor would you imagine cooking with anything else just because it's "easier" to use.
Ice down some beer, throw on some good music, tend your fire and make a day out of your cooks. The little enjoyable things in life are few and far between these days and we should slow down and soak them in.:wink::-D

Oldbill nailed it. Get something cheap and see if you like it before dropping a load of cash and finding out you absolutely hate it. I doubt you would hate it but it happens. I would check CL for a decent used offset before I bought something that is poorly designed and will turn you off off stick burners because of how badly it works. I have all different kinds of cookers and will be thinning the herd once my SF cooker arrives. I will keep my insulated cabinet, my Jimmy and the SF. Everything else is probably going on CL. I love them all but just cannot cook on them all. After all there is only one 16Adams and I cannot come close to imitating him.:shock:

One day there'll be an app for starting and maintaining a stick burner too I suppose or a pit that will just run itself and take away the need for a pit master but I hope I'm dead first.

Awesome! My sentiments exactly. Sometimes I find myself using a fountain pen just to appreciate the simpler things in life...

If you look at my line-up, I am pretty much a set it and forget it guy. But out of all of those cookers, I get the most pleasure from my Deep South. This has led me to feel that I am a stickburner hiding behind a pallet of pellets. I am ready to jump in with both feet in May when I get to make the trip to Tuscaloosa to pick up my SF rig. I may not ever unhook it from my truck!

OldBill, that is the route I went. $30 brinkmann off of CL just to see if I would like it. Well, I did. It was great. Now that one is going back on CL for someone else to give a try while I enjoy my new to me Cimarron.

OldBill, that is the route I went. $30 brinkmann off of CL just to see if I would like it. Well, I did. It was great. Now that one is going back on CL for someone else to give a try while I enjoy my new to me Cimarron.
Those Cimarrons are good little cookers, thick steel and good construction!:thumb:

My Deep South GC28 can burn sticks and I sleep all night long :wink:

10487326_10153037290872232_6703855011335304480_n.jpg

I started out with a cheap Bandera. After the cheap fire box rotted out on me, I replaced it with another cheap Bandera. Practically made from the cheapest grade of light steel ever and required constant attention, but it made some quality food. I now cook with a Primo Kamado and UDS. Set it and forget it is all good and all, but I really miss my stick burner. I will probably place an order for an upright LSG this summer to go with my drum and Primo. That will be the perfect setup in my opinion.

I purchased the Horizon 16 classic from Bass Pro, with tax it was $1005.00. I just got a convection plate from Horizon directly, $83.74 including freight.
I was looking at the Horizon in our Bass Pro. That thing is a super heavy beast!

I was looking at the Horizon in our Bass Pro. That thing is a super heavy beast!

Yup. I Finally got smart after paying for 3 of those Home Improvement store cheap ones. I spent more on those combined. Now I have something that will last forever.

Unfortunately today's world is moving too fast and folks don't stop and smell the roses,... or in this case the wood smoke as much as they should. We now have phones that could probably launch a nuke with the right app, cars that can parallel park themselves and a host of other "modern technological advances" that have quite frankly taken a lot of the fun little things out of life.
I enjoy having a good meal and talking to my family as we are gathered around the dinner table but these days I'm about the only one in the house that isn't texting, tweeting or watching a streaming movie on an Ipad. I enjoy driving (and working on) a car but when I pop the hood I don't even see an engine due to the computerized crap covering it along with all the wires and sensors that go along with it and I don't need a computer to park my vehicle for me,... heck we're almost to the point of not needing a driver at all with some of the systems that are being developed in the auto/motive industry and that will one day be stock in every car or truck.
Everything in our lives today are made push button easy but in many ways more complicated at the same time and for the sake of some sort of convenience we have given ourselves MORE stress and LESS enjoyment in our lives. One day there'll be an app for starting and maintaining a stick burner too I suppose or a pit that will just run itself and take away the need for a pit master but I hope I'm dead first.
My suggestion to the OP is to slow down and learn to enjoy the "art" of BBQ. Go and get the cheapest, leakiest, most difficult to operate stick burner you can find at one of the box stores, modify it if you need to and learn how to make good BBQ with it. When that pit is second nature to you then get with Paul at Shirley or Chris at LSG and have a quality pit made that will be easier to use but will still require a human being to operate it. During that learning process you'll find an enjoyment that you'll never get from anything else because at the end of a cook the finished product will reflect the work, skill and patience that YOU put into it.
Once you get the rewarding feeling of seeing family and friends enjoying the food that you spent all day cooking you'll realize that you've grown to love the time and work that you put into your cooks and you'll never want to give up your stick burner, nor would you imagine cooking with anything else just because it's "easier" to use.
Ice down some beer, throw on some good music, tend your fire and make a day out of your cooks. The little enjoyable things in life are few and far between these days and we should slow down and soak them in.:wink::-D

Right. On.

My first smoker was an old homemade 7' stick burner. I still use it and I still love it!
Something about tending the fire, relaxing with a cold beverage and enjoying the aroma of both smoke and meat slow cooking....... just can't beat it.
I think I am addicted to smoke. :redface:

i feel like i just got the best life advice i could get from my favorite uncle. thanks bill.

I use an off set stick burner and only need to tend to it every couple of hours at most. A quality unit makes all the difference. If you want to not need to attend it a BBQ GURU works wonders, but I like a reason to get up and play with fire.

I love my stick burners, I hate my stick burners, I like sleep, I don't care if I sleep, I like set it and forget it pits, I hate set and forget it pits......that's why I have a least one of them all.

OK, the real reason I have so many different pits is because my wife buys them. No lie.
I guess I'm lucky.

Seriously, I do like tending the fire but like having the other pits for those times when I don't want to stay up all night.

Back