St Louis Ribs

Heard good things about Creekstone but could never pull the trigger due to price.

Went the alternative route and found a butcher in the area that carries duroc ribs. Cheaper than Creekstone and really pleased with the quality. Got a perfect MBN score with them first try.

Doesn't help much with your Creekstone question but may look for butchers that carry duroc in your area

I have tried them and they didn't turn out to be the best I have ever turned in...twice. It could very well have been me, but they didn't impress me enough to try them a third time in competition.

I’ve used them with great results. I’ve also used them and done not so good. Same goes for commodity ribs. Sometimes you get some great ones, and other times you don’t. Give them a try and see how you like them.

I have ordered ribs from them four different times when on sale. Of those (about 16 total if I remember correctly) only 2 racks would have been been competition worthy as the rest were just too thin. Never used them in competition.

Thanks,

Robert

ssv3 recommended Creekstone ribs to me and I've been very satisficed, here is one of his posts about them with lots of photos.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292186&highlight=ribs

To answer your question: Looking back on the 8 racks that I've cooked, and from a KCBS Judge's perspective...., I will say that Creekstone spares have a wonderful flavor, are moist and deliver a good bite, and have straight bones. However, as far as meatiness goes, I would rank them about average for the spare ribs I typically judge in my area. I have sampled ribs from cooks that buy Compart Duroc spares, and those were a bit meatier.

I've heard similar to Robert about Creekstone from several teams, very inconsistent, a lot of thin racks and shiners so I've never tried them.

Back