SRF Wagyu brisket...Which to buy

I've finally arrived at the point where I'm cooking consistent brisket and I'm ready to try a SRF wagyu. The question is do I purchase the black or the gold.

Either one won't be an easy sell to the wife but we have family coming in town from out of state and everyone loves brisket. I figured this would be a great time to try it.

Any input is appreciated.

What's the famous saying? "Once you go black, you never douche canoe"?? :becky:

To answer your question I'd say get a black and don't over analyze it if it is your first swing. I have also screwed up wagyu when I first tried it. :clap2:.

What's the famous saying? "Once you go black, you never douche canoe"?? :becky:

To answer your question I'd say get a black and don't over analyze it if it is your first swing. I have also screwed up wagyu when I first tried it. :clap2:.

Must refrain from responding to this post.......

Well dang... Can't trust anything anymore I guess. Wagyu not being true Wagyu and overcharged for it.

I don't cook enough to buy a bunch of them, so I guess I'm screwed to try true Wagyu.

Heh. Unfortunately -here in the US the beef only needs to be 50% wagyu to be labeled as such... Hence the f1 cross with Angus.

In reality this guideline only helps commodity farmers because real wagyu cattle are much smaller and by default cost much more to raise and slaughter in comparison to the 50% cross...

Both ranchers charge the same while the wagyu steer is 3-400 pounds lighter and the other isn't a true Wagyu steer. Does this make sense to yall?

I'm not saying $100/lb for grade 8+ filet is reasonable for any beef... But certainly more plausible for a true Wagyu over a cross breed being sold as wagyu intentionally and deliberately manipulating the public.

I don't know anyone that would pay 24kt gold prices for 10kt gold... And that's what is happening.

Thanks offshore for the informative posts with regards to wagyu beef. Unfortunately for us west coasters, there probably isn't an option to do what you did. I'll stick to prime for my beef, and not overthink it.

Thanks offshore for the informative posts with regards to wagyu beef. Unfortunately for us west coasters, there probably isn't an option to do what you did. I'll stick to prime for my beef, and not overthink it.

There is a plan in the works. Let's just say my supplier makes their money on the normal primal cuts supplying worldwide midas establishments and never gave any thought to us...the bbq community.

So hold tight and stay tuned...some true Wagyu bbq cuts will be available.

Keep in mind the supplier is tailored to serve midas establishments... I've been working with them for months to get the cuts we as a community want down to a science. I assure you they're coming. The great thing is that all of our cuts will simply add to their bottom line on a business they're already quite profitable doing without selling any bbq cuts at all. The hard part will be nailing down a reasonable freight cost.

They're soon to sponsor a few less prestigious competitors and likely will buy a sponsorship account here... Where they (we) will trial case (50ish pounds) sales to the bbq brethren membership.

I'll say it again... Bbq is supposed to be affordable

Last edited:
The Berkshire pork from Iowa is sold by Berkwood Farms.

http://betterpork.com/

They started many years ago in a small town about 15 miles from me. The founder who is now retired and I were friends until his health got so bad he had to turn it over. Good folks to work with and they raise piggers the way they should be. They also are very picky who in their coop of farmers that can raise for them.

I've been to Japan and had Wagyu, very good meat but I'll stick with the pure breed Angus my neighbor raises for me.

I'll say it again... Bbq is supposed to be affordable

I agree, and not only that, I tend to think that the bbq world moving towards the notion that only the highest grades are smoke worthy is almost a 180 from what bbq is.

That being, a method of cooking lesser cuts of meat (connective tissue/fatty and yes even non wagyu have good amounts of fat obviously) that were once trashed.

And via low temps and smoke, converting what was otherwise thought of as garbage meat into a succulent feast.

Is an ultra marbled wagyu brisket a rare treat? of course. Although I know some people who think even a well marbled prime steak is too fatty.

Is the bbq world going snooty and turning their noses up at anything other than wagyu or even prime a good thing? I don't think so.

At least that's what I think...won't be the first time i'm wrong.

I agree, and not only that, I tend to think that the bbq world moving towards the notion that only the highest grades are smoke worthy is almost a 180 from what bbq is.

That being, a method of cooking lesser cuts of meat (connective tissue/fatty and yes even non wagyu have good amounts of fat obviously) that were once trashed.

And via low temps and smoke, converting what was otherwise thought of as garbage meat into a succulent feast.

Is an ultra marbled wagyu brisket a rare treat? of course. Although I know some people who think even a well marbled prime steak is too fatty.

Is the bbq world going snooty and turning their noses up at anything other than wagyu or even prime a good thing? I don't think so.

At least that's what I think...won't be the first time i'm wrong.

i think you're exactly right. There is a verifiable reason why wagyu beef costs more though..and simply put (just like the heritage breeds of pork).. they are more difficult to raise and the yield isn't nearly as big. Given the nature of our beef ..and knowing what it really costs to raise cattle - wagyu is a premium product, but not uber omg whoa **** damn mfer it costs us 900% more to raise this.

We can though say with certainty - even our ****ty pieces of meat have better and worse examples. Wagyu is better, but its never going to make up for someone that doesn't know how to cook beef to begin with. How much better? Its been my experience that most people prefer it not knowing what it is... and that isn't scientific - thats simply presenting 2 or 3 briskets and giving me an honest assessment after trying each.

I see it when i take briskets to work - i never mention what it is, but 9 times out of 10 the wagyu brisket is gone first.

:shock:

Are you going to share the love or are us douche canoes left in the dark again?

Looks like I'll (or Adam, aka Offshore) will be sharing the info soon. Spoke with the owner of the farm today and he want's me to take pics and / or make a vid of my Wagyu cooks to post here. I think he want's to start selling into the BBQ community. I'll know more by this wknd.

If you're within 3 day FedEx ground transit times of Omaha then freight on wagyu cases is roughly $60. They'll ship Mondays and Tuesdays. 2 day shipping is available and costs nearly $100 more and not worth it in my humble opinion. Unfortunately 1 brisket isn't doable atm.

Cases are 50ish pounds and include 4 frozen packer briskets shipped in a Styrofoam cooler wrapped in mylar and then boxed in cardboard.

The ranch won't take responsibility shipping ground nor will it refund your purchase if you aren't around to accept the package. depending on the time of day FedEx typically delivers to your residence - I'd opt to have your meat shipped to your work or have it held at FedEx for pickup... Especially if you typically get late afternoon or early evening delivery.

I'm kind of screening potential customers for the ranch atm... They are more than busy with supplying their established midas rated customers...the bbq cuts are an afterthought.

There are more options not included... $6lb brisket is the absolute rock bottom price... They've opted to sell the briskets at a reasonable price in exchange for those options... Make sense?

Just in case an example is necessary I'll provide a few- you won't get a completion trimmed brisket for $6/lb. In the future... This could be possible, but will add cost. If u want assurance the meat comes frozen then pay for 2 day shipping. In my experience 3 days is perfectly fine... I'd rather spend the 100 saved in freight on more meat.

Lastly, if I find out someone pulls the douche canoe.. That will be the end of the relationship. don't be a douche canoe.

*the supplier kills and butchers 80 head of wagyu every 4-6 weeks, is USDA inspected on sight, and uses a commercial freezer storage facility the size of a few city blocks. Meat is shipped directly from the freezer facility.

They also have an american wagyu hybrid herd where 70% score prime (this is the f1 cross that many of us have been duped into paying wagyu prices for). Briskets will be available from these as well at 3.75 -4lb range (USDA prime).

Last edited:
I'm very happy I opened this thread. I'm excited to hear more about this in the future. Heck Id be more than interested in the American Wagyu Hybrids. I don't do a lot of competitions because of my busy schedule but it would be nice to have good quality briskets for not only the couple of KCBS comps I do a year but for family and friends that come to my house for get togethers.

Ive been recenntly working on a way to get duroc ribs at a reasonable price as well. BBQ may soon be a lot more fun. LOL

I'm very happy I opened this thread. I'm excited to hear more about this in the future. Heck Id be more than interested in the American Wagyu Hybrids. I don't do a lot of competitions because of my busy schedule but it would be nice to have good quality briskets for not only the couple of KCBS comps I do a year but for family and friends that come to my house for get togethers.

Ive been recenntly working on a way to get duroc ribs at a reasonable price as well. BBQ may soon be a lot more fun. LOL

I don't have a source for duroc, but i can get berkshire/kurobuta(stl ribs require a 2 week notice too).

BBQ is supposed to be FUN and AFFORDABLE.

I'll add I don't do this for profit, nor do I gain anything monetarily. I simply enjoy a steady supply of the highest quality meat and like the fact that others can enjoy it too without being assraped. This is exactly why I'm dead against others profiting from the privilege ...

those of you that choose to give this a go - I truly hope you enjoy it and look forward to reading about and watching your use of it. I think some of yall may be surprised to know or find out that real wagyu beef is typically smaller.. not much, but its noticeable. it also flops like a limp dick without any trimming... so much in fact its difficult to place properly on your grid.

one other thing - there is no pink watery nastiness with this meat. The ranch hangs all of its beef after killing to be air cooled.. no water involved. So before the beef gets butchered it is hung and cooled at least 72 hours prior. No odd colored edges.. no pink nastiness... just great beefy beef with beautiful white buttery fat. Its also aged at least 30 days before frozen. If you require fresh beef I'm sure something could be arranged.

Last edited:
i forgot to add .. the supplier has other cuts that some of us may find desirable .. different wagyu rib cuts, tri-tip, belly, etc.. and I'm sure if you demonstrate your skills with the pit they may be happy to give some of yall a go at those cuts too.

Basically, as stated previous - our cuts were not even an afterthought to these guys.. so if you have an idea for a cut to slow cook.. by all means.

OFC you can also purchase the primal typical cuts in 3 grades .. primal being the entire piece ofc. Primals come 4 to a case and will likely make you poop your pants a little when considering the price.

Looks like I'll (or Adam, aka Offshore) will be sharing the info soon. Spoke with the owner of the farm today and he want's me to take pics and / or make a vid of my Wagyu cooks to post here. I think he want's to start selling into the BBQ community. I'll know more by this wknd.

So was I reading correct that the normally a case is around 4 briskets or does it vary? Also what was the price for the 67lbs shipped? Always looking for better wagyu sources. I know comp guys are looking for specific sizes and consistent thickness, but at home doesn't matter as much.

And to Offshore, is that one pic with the brisket with all the white fat (not saying this is a bad thing) indicative of what is shipped? Just curious.

So was I reading correct that the normally a case is around 4 briskets or does it vary? Also what was the price for the 67lbs shipped? Always looking for better wagyu sources. I know comp guys are looking for specific sizes and consistent thickness, but at home doesn't matter as much.

And to Offshore, is that one pic with the brisket with all the white fat (not saying this is a bad thing) indicative of what is shipped? Just curious.

the white fat is typical. 4 to a case and the weights vary just like a case of brisket from costco or sams. average size is 14ish pounds.

typical ground shipping is 55-65 bucks depending on the weight of course.

I've worked with them on separating the "heavies" .. so future typical cases may be swoles size instead of the typical 50ish pounds
FYI - the pink fat comes from the carcass being sprayed down with cool water and then being packed in that same water.

Back