Speaking of Shortages - Huy Fong Sriracha

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I was wondering the same. I went to like 4 grocery stores and couldn't find it. Had to buy Lee Kum Kee brand for my char siu chicken wing ramen in the chicken wing challenge.

Last edited:
Dad told me long ago, "people want what they can't have".
I have two small bottles of Huy Fong Sriracha unopened. I did see Badia Sriracha (I think) when I was picking up KS at Drug Emporium. I honestly don't think I'll run out before shortage expires. Lots of liquid heat options at mi casa

The Texas Pete version isn't too bad.

Not the OG but passable.

I do like Texas Pete's hot sauce so guessing Sriracha is good too.when we first discussed this about a year ago Tabasco Sriracha was mentioned but I must have gotten an off bottle. Mine was mostly heat. May revisit. I've tried several Badia spices and they were guessing Badia Sriracha would be good as well.

Bottom line. I think Sriracha options will remain available, just not going to see green cap rooster bottle. I searched all Walmart, United, Spanish themed, World Market locally and HF is out of stock.
For now.

I dont use it much....but this thread made me go check on my supply...whew...more than half a bottle left.

Never having tasted it, I ask what makes one brand better than the next?

It's one of those condiments that can vary quite afar on taste, savory versus sweet and heat level by brand. Generally it's a low cost condiment.
Generally

Melinda's seems to be on quite a few Brethren Chile radar
Here's another option. With HF reportedly going 25-50$ per bottle online I can try others, if it comes to that

Last edited:
I read a review online that said Trader Joe's is a reasonable substitute until Huy Fing comes back in stock. A cursory glance at ingredients of various brands seems to show that HF is the only one listing "fermented Jalapenos". I would guess that this might explain what makes it special?

I'm more distressed that I'm about to run out of their Chili Garlic sauce.

It's not just ebay-ers trying to take advantage. Can always count on a third party on Amazon to try to cash in...

That may well win the HF-WTF award. Award only lasts one day. We'll be amazed by something else tomorrow.
Guaranteed

I get anxious when I buy a bottle of BOOZE for >$50, let alone sauce I use once annually. Hopefully it comes back soon though.

Scouting Report - Huy Fong Sriracha and Chile Garlic Paste/Oil

10 stores. Only thing Huy Fong on any shelf was Sriracha Ketchup. Most had a shelf with product tag however space was empty. There are plenty of Sriracha alternatives. In fact small bottles of Tabasco Sriracha found on sale $2. Found plenty of options for Chile garlic paste at Asian Market. No Huy Fong anything on their shelves.

Kosher Salt?? Not a single store had any brand of Kosher Salt, though didn't look really hard, I did more than glance.

Bottom Line. I wouldn't hoard, but I wouldn't pass up if needing these several items.

"Man works better under pressure"

Today's hall. The Asian Market Chile &Garlic was $2.99----compare that to resale Huy Fong

Last edited:
I dont use it much....but this thread made me go check on my supply...whew...more than half a bottle left.

Same here, I have a 1/2 bottle left but I really don't use it that much. The shortage will probably be over before I need another one.

It should be around 1 year before the Sriracha shortage has finally passed.

It is my understanding that basically an entire years crop failed at the limited number of farms that grow the special variety of peppers used to make authentic Sriracha.

For what it's worth, Huy Fung refuses to find an alternative recipe as they feel it won't be up to their standards.

I have 1 bottle in the pantry and 1/2 a bottle left in the fridge. Should last long enough unless I get into a heavy and prolonged Asian food binge Which can and does happen.

On another site I read a story about this. Seems Fong had a dispute with his CA grower. Seems Fong was trying to get out of contract so declared a breach of contract. Wanted to use cheaper Mexican product. Grower sued and won 23.5 mil. Supposedly the rest of CA growers blackballed Fong and his main source is Mexico so drought has screwed them. Can verify the part of lawsuits by googling. FAFO

Back