Sous Vide Devices?

Hope you guys don't mind me posting this hear, but this is my cook from last night. Sous Vide Style.

Heres the Bone-in Ribeyes in some zip lock bags, getting ready to take a nice long bath.
DSCF6457 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr
DSCF6451 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr

Ribeyes taking a bath at 131F.
DSCF6462 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr
DSCF6463 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr

Ribeye fresh out of the water bath.
DSCF6466 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr

Post sear in the cast iron skillet.
DSCF6467 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr

Cross section, got to love that edge to edge pink.
DSCF6472 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr
DSCF6473 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr

Plated with chips (fried) and some creamed spinach.
DSCF6478 by Tyrone1Wils, on Flickr

I threw that steak in for quite some time as I had to go out but it was ready for when I came in.

It was probably in the water bath for about 5 hours in total. Thats one thing I love about sous vide. You can throw a steak in and leave it for a few hours and come back and its perfectly cooked!

That thing has been on my list for a little while here. Convinced BillM to buy one for himself before myself somehow. A nice even sear vs. too concentrated in one point.
and I must say it works great....no torch taste...
make sure you use the proper recommended
torch and follow the short seasoning instructions before using it

So this thread spiked my interest and I went to the Anova website. For example baby rack ribs cooked at 165 for 4 to 36 hours. Does that mean that they will be done in 4 hours?

They'll be up to temp and cooked though at 4 hours. After that it turns into a question of texture.
I agree.. The meat temp will never go over the target temp but the texture changes considerably and imagine at some point they will turn to mush.
I tried short rib recipe that called for 72 hrs! they were cooked through well below that as I pulled them a little under 24 hrs..they were incredible so I'm not sure how much better they would have been with those extra hrs .
Souse Vide like BBQ is definitely not for anyone who wants to cook things fast.

Here's my last sous vide adventure. I was bragging to someone how good my 72 hour short ribs were, and she wanted to taste. I didn't have 72 hours, so I did them at 156* for 24 hours. They aren't quite as good texture as the 72 hour ones, but they taste just as amazing. Sorry for my awful plating/presentation skills!

lk3vSQL.jpg

jjjaOAs.jpg

I use a Butterball turkey fryer that I got on sale at Walmart $69, and a DIY temp controller $45. Circulation is totally unnecessary when you are heating from the bottom (i.e. turkey fryer). Slow cookers, roasters, etc. heat from the side so circulation is fairly important (an aquarium pump works really well).
I have been sous vide cooking for about 4 1/2 years and have tried everything there is to try except the "money" machines. My results have been great.
As a side note, if you want to try it without spending much money, get a Butterball fryer. They will hold temp within 2 or 3 ° all day long. You can always use it for a fryer too.

you are basically cooking raw meat in a sealed bag so it wont really get an color ..so yes you do have to sear afterwards

Well, you don't have to sear afterwards, but it will be ugly looking, and not have the flavor from the Malliard Reaction. You could eat it right out of the bag, but I wouldn't suggest it.

:hand:

Sous vide machines are great. I cooked some prime ribeyes for 30 people at my parents' 50th. I had all of the steaks cooked in the sous vide. 15 minutes before it was time to serve dinner I cut all of the bags open and started searing them on a BGE. A minute or two per side and they were all perfect.

I can't post link, but google "sous vide supreme". That website has a really good chart on times and temps. It is the site for the Dr. Eades, the people who brought the first feasible sous vide machine to the general public.

Back