Sous Vide Devices?

I have the Anova Precision Cooker and I like the simplicity of the wheel control. I rarely use the bluetooth, the range doesn't reach to my office from where I usually have it setup. It works great for me.

Here are some short ribs I did at 138* for 72 hours then cubed and flash fried them for about 30-40 seconds, just long enough to get a nice crust.

1127141156.jpg
Good looking short ribs. This or a chuck roast is the first long cook I plan to with my new Anova.

Great looking steak. So you seared first?
Any reason to do it that way instead of reverse-sear.
Also what temp was the water bath set for on this one?
Curious because I just un-boxed mine and want to do a steak tonight.
Thanks

Cooking steaks is what interests me about these things. Seems like it would really take the human error out of it. I took the post to mean the pic was taken after a quick sear in the pan. But I have been wrong before...

Cooking steaks is what interests me about these things. Seems like it would really take the human error out of it. I took the post to mean the pic was taken after a quick sear in the pan. But I have been wrong before...

You're right this time :-D

Sous Vide first, then seared, then picture :thumb:

You're right this time :-D

Sous Vide first, then seared, then picture :thumb:
Thanks, guys. The sentence structure was not clear enough for us anal-retentive types :redface:

OK, just finished first cook with the Anova One.
Received it about 4:00pm, got it set up no problem. A 1.6 pound bone-in T-bone. Set the Anova for 118 degrees, the timer for 2.5 hours. Seared steak about 90 seconds per side in hot cast iron skillet. Perfect mid rare side to side. Nice texture too.
I am satisfied for first effort.
Sorry no pics. My cameras are on assignment in an undisclosed south Asian country with a missionary effort.

Sorry no pics. My cameras are on assignment in an undisclosed south Asian country with a missionary effort.[/QUOTE]

So you were excited about the new toy and forgot to take pics?

I use an electric slow cooker as a Sous Vide bath.
No water recirculation, I bath for a longer rather than a shorter period and have never had a problem.
Tonight I did a Rib eye 2 bone steak.
Vacuumed with a small amount of salt and pepper.
bathed for 5 hours at 55c / 13o F.
Flashed in a heavy frypan for about 1.5 minutes a side.
came out delish.
I do have a full cook if anyone wants to view it, in this post or a new one?

Thanks, guys. The sentence structure was not clear enough for us anal-retentive types :redface:

Sorry it wasn't clear, but yes the two guys above are correct!

Doing 2 bone in rib eyes tonight. They're 1lb each.

I set my Sansaire to 131F on the steak above.

I use an electric slow cooker as a Sous Vide bath.
No water recirculation, I bath for a longer rather than a shorter period and have never had a problem.
Tonight I did a Rib eye 2 bone steak.
Vacuumed with a small amount of salt and pepper.
bathed for 5 hours at 55c / 13o F.
Flashed in a heavy frypan for about 1.5 minutes a side.
came out delish.
I do have a full cook if anyone wants to view it, in this post or a new one?

Very nice looking steak, titch.
My slow cooker will not go below 175 F.

Has anyone went one further and bought the next one up, the small commercial one? That's the one I'm thinking of going with.

Sorry no pics. My cameras are on assignment in an undisclosed south Asian country with a missionary effort.

So you were excited about the new toy and forgot to take pics?[/QUOTE]
I was excited about the new toy.
Truth about no camera in the house.
No phone with camera. And my real cameras are on loan to my grand-daughter who is documenting an aid trip by our church to a country that does not officially approve of mission work.

So you were excited about the new toy and forgot to take pics?
I was excited about the new toy.
Truth about no camera in the house.
No phone with camera. And my real cameras are on loan to my grand-daughter who is documenting an aid trip by our church to a country that does not officially approve of mission work.[/QUOTE]

Got it. Kudos to your grand-daughter!

I did a half dozen eggs last night at 147° for 1 hour for some Eggs Benedict.

I love soft boiled eggs mixed in with some buttered toast broken up, some hot sauce, well.....back on track.

Made some Hollandaise sauce from scratch as well. I will say I've never seen or had a soft boiled egg like this before. The yoke was between runny and custard. However, when I cracked the first egg, I figured I would be digging out the white with a teaspoon as usual. To my amazement, the whole egg just fell out, intact. No runny yoke until you broke the egg up.

In short, I'm going to skip all the Eggs Benedict stuff in the future, although it was good, and use these eggs on my old childhood dish of eggs and toast. Wow is all I can say.

I'm doing a bunch of chicken breasts today in 3 different marinades then they get the sear on the grill. That was a request from the boss/Mrs!

I think this is a great tool to compliment the grill and the smoker. It certainly gets the imagination going.

I did a half dozen eggs last night at 147° for 1 hour for some Eggs Benedict.

I love soft boiled eggs mixed in with some buttered toast broken up, some hot sauce, well.....back on track.

Made some Hollandaise sauce from scratch as well. I will say I've never seen or had a soft boiled egg like this before. The yoke was between runny and custard. However, when I cracked the first egg, I figured I would be digging out the white with a teaspoon as usual. To my amazement, the whole egg just fell out, intact. No runny yoke until you broke the egg up.

In short, I'm going to skip all the Eggs Benedict stuff in the future, although it was good, and use these eggs on my old childhood dish of eggs and toast. Wow is all I can say.

I'm doing a bunch of chicken breasts today in 3 different marinades then they get the sear on the grill. That was a request from the boss/Mrs!

I think this is a great tool to compliment the grill and the smoker. It certainly gets the imagination going.

I love the look on guests faces when I do that.
Breakfast for ten all at the same time:thumb:

Back