Long hold in Anova Precision Oven

irhutch

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Hutch
Smoking a brisket this weekend and want to do a long hold in my Anova Precision Oven. Would like to hear from anyone who had done this or use any other combi oven for a long hold. Looking for sous vide on or off, temperature, and steam setting if any. If you have done this with an Anova Precision Oven how did it work out? For those who don't know the Anova Precision Oven uses wet bulb temperature, regular oven uses dry bulb temperature. They are not the same except under 100% humidity. I am thinking maybe 150 no steam.

I use my Frigidaire Induction Air fry oven with steamer tray to hold briskets and other foods overnight. I am pretty sure the Anova is designed for this. If it fits, your good to go. AFAIK My oven holds at 170F. I would NOT hold dry at 150 unless you want jerky.

That's assuming your not wrapping. You did not specify, so i can't assume you are wrapping or boating and covering with foil or BP. If you are wrapping you can hold at 150F but you will lose some bark. I would not waste the benefits of the Anova. Its basicly a small scale consumer combi oven.

Last edited:
Smoking a brisket this weekend and want to do a long hold in my Anova Precision Oven. Would like to hear from anyone who had done this or use any other combi oven for a long hold. Looking for sous vide on or off, temperature, and steam setting if any. If you have done this with an Anova Precision Oven how did it work out? For those who don't know the Anova Precision Oven uses wet bulb temperature, regular oven uses dry bulb temperature. They are not the same except under 100% humidity. I am thinking maybe 150 no steam.

I cook my brisket to completely done/tenderness. Let it cool on counter wrapped in butcher paper (not foil - foil will trap in too much heat). If I only have foil I’ll tent it or loosely cover it. I let the middle flat cool to IT of 145, usually takes 60-75 minutes. Then I wrap in plastic wrap over the bp, then cover in foil. Then into APO at 145, sous vide off, bottom heating element, 30% steam. The brisket will slowly come down to 141 and stay at that temp indefinitely. I just did a brisket video and you can see me use it at the end. https://youtu.be/QClqddVHYNc

The plastic wrap helps retain moisture for longer holds. The extra layer of foil is to protect the plastic and prevent a mess in case there’s a leak.

Last edited:
I will wrap tightly with unwaxed butcher paper, the pink stuff and smear a little smoked beef tallow on the paper when I do.

I watched your video, very helpful, looks like you did a wonderful job. I would love to have one of those pits, maybe one of these days. I am going to give that a try, thanks.

Last edited:
Back