Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

I've got some short ribs going now. 30 hours at 135. Sealed up with a couple sprigs of thyme some garlic and shallot. Longest cook, I've done by a lot as I've mostly stuck with shorter cooks like chicken breasts and fish.

Did a rib roast this weekend. Rubbed with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Into the water at 125 F for 24 hours, then onto the grill to get the outside right.

Taste was fine, but the texture wasn't what I was hoping for.

My wife said it reminded her of the prime rib at Outback....that wasn't a compliment. Won't bother with this one again. YMMV

Did a rib roast this weekend. Rubbed with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Into the water at 125 F for 24 hours, then onto the grill to get the outside right.

My wife said it reminded her of the prime rib at Outback....that wasn't a compliment. Won't bother with this one again. YMMV

outback!...ouch...you think it was too long?....or not enough?

I did some short ribs at 135 for about 30 hours. Served with a little gorgonzola cream sauce on top. The texture was like a well prepared prime rib and I definitely enjoyed it, however the wife did comment that they were a bit fatty, which is to be expected considering the low temp. I'm thinking next time I might try a slightly higher temp and see what happens. Anyone else have good short rib tehnique?

I did my first PR @127 for 9 hours. Nothing special. Didn't like the texture either.

Did the second one @ 130 for 10 hours. Incredibly good. Seared on Charcoal Weber Rottis for about 20 minutes (my favorite crust at this point).

Have repeated for Friends and Family and received VERY good reviews.

YMMV

Thanks for the info. Might have to give another one a whirl.

I did my first PR @127 for 9 hours. Nothing special. Didn't like the texture either.

Did the second one @ 130 for 10 hours. Incredibly good. Seared on Charcoal Weber Rottis for about 20 minutes (my favorite crust at this point).

Have repeated for Friends and Family and received VERY good reviews.

YMMV

So on Sunday I cut a nice 12" piece of boneless pork loin the wife got into 6 equal pieces of 2". Then I butterflied each of those. Seasoned with fresh cracked pepper, cumin, thyme, sage and a fresh basil leaf each. Vacuum bagged em and dropped em in a 135 degree bath for about 3 hours.

Got the BGE screamin hot, grilled some fresh green beans, then seared the chops after I brushed em with EVOO. Served with a fresh garden caprese salad and some taters.

Texture was awesome. Tenderness was great. Still think the flavor was a little lacking. It just tasted like roast pork, which isn't BAD, but wasn't as good as a charcoal grilled chop. I went a little light on seasoning because I was concerned about overpowering them, which didn't happen.

I may try and brine the chops next time to see if it makes a difference.

image.jpg

What is the point of these bluetooth/wifi additions?? I don't get it. You set it, put in the food when it gets to target temp and grab it hours later. I cannot see a single use case for this unless you had a sous vide always on in a super insulated box that you always kept to temp?

What is the point of these bluetooth/wifi additions?? I don't get it. You set it, put in the food when it gets to target temp and grab it hours later. I cannot see a single use case for this unless you had a sous vide always on in a super insulated box that you always kept to temp?

It's not worth the extra $$$$ to me, but you could put vacuum sealed food in the water when you leave and then remotely turn it on while your out so it's done when you get home.
It would be nice.

Their app includes recipes and when you select a recipe it will automatically set the cooker to the recipe temp. Is it necessary? No.

I can see a very good use. I can set the cooker out in the pot with water before I go to work. An hour or so before I get home I hit it to start getting up to temp. When I get home it's ready to throw something in. That saves me easily an hour. And when I get home later and wanna heat up some frozen BBQ I ain't waiting more than the time it takes to come up to eating temps.

The energy savings and much less water evaporation doing it this way vs having it run all day would be worth noting. Perhaps the recipes too.

Other than that though I with you. It's not worth the upgrade. Although I will admit to sneaking a peak at the sale to see if maybe they went up on the wattage. I've been using my stove to help speed up the process of coming up to temp when trying to cook at 140-180

just don't see when I'd do that instead of throwing hot tap water at 125 degrees into my vessel and turn on the SV. Takes my SV like 10minutes to get to temp. Do you put cold water in to start?

Finally got through the whole thread. So if I've got this right, with these new fangled water smokers I dump the liquid smoke in a bag with a hunk o' meat and send it for a swim. Just crazy enough to work.

Seriously, though, I'm feeling some serious peer pressure to try this. This forum sucks.

:razz:

Chuck Roast with Pron

I picked up a bargain roast at Walmart and did it in my el-cheapo sous vide setup for 24 hours at 135, then seared on the grill table with the stainless steel bowl "vortex". It was pretty darned good. :)resized000.jpg

resized002.jpg

resized003.jpg

resized005.jpg

resized006.jpg

resized007.jpg

resized009.jpg

sliced.jpg

I've had the older model Anova immersion circulator for a while and have enjoyed using it for quite a few different things. I think one of the best applications for it is pork, specifically thick cut chops. You can get them cooked to the perfect temp without drying out.

I picked up some nice thick cut pork chops today, seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, a pinch of cayenne and a good bit of rosemary. Bagged them, got them in the cooker at 145. While they cooked I worked on sides and made a sauce, a glaze of reduced demiglace and figs. After a little less than 3 hours I pulled them and gave them a good sear for just under a minute per side in cast iron with butter. I do the sear on my camp chef camp stove because it blast at 20000 btu's. Sliced it was a very nice medium all the way through. They were really tender and delicious. The sauce was great. I made it so as to still be a little savory and not too sweet. Next time I'll probably back the temp down to 142-143 to keep it slightly more pink.

Attachments

• 1-CUT.jpg
    1-CUT.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 290
  • 1-SEAR.JPG
    1-SEAR.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 1-GREY.jpg
    1-GREY.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 1-SAUCE.jpg
    1-SAUCE.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 1-BATHING.JPG
    1-BATHING.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 1-145.jpg
    1-145.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 1-PACKED.JPG
    1-PACKED.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 287
  • 1-SEASONED.jpg
    1-SEASONED.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 288
  • 1-PORKONBOARD.JPG
    1-PORKONBOARD.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 1-PLATE.jpg
    1-PLATE.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 288
I've had the older model Anova immersion circulator for a while and have enjoyed using it for quite a few different things. I think one of the best applications for it is pork, specifically thick cut chops. You can get them cooked to the perfect temp without drying out.

I picked up some nice thick cut pork chops today, seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, a pinch of cayenne and a good bit of rosemary. Bagged them, got them in the cooker at 145. While they cooked I worked on sides and made a sauce, a glaze of reduced demiglace and figs. After a little less than 3 hours I pulled them and gave them a good sear for just under a minute per side in cast iron with butter. I do the sear on my camp chef camp stove because it blast at 20000 btu's. Sliced it was a very nice medium all the way through. They were really tender and delicious. The sauce was great. I made it so as to still be a little savory and not too sweet. Next time I'll probably back the temp down to 142-143 to keep it slightly more pink.

Those look great. What size volume is your container?

Back